APC Forum

The most potent whistle motor type for extreme payloads

dangerousamateur

I made as new tread to precise my question.

Since the LWS does not seem to be the optimal design, let me just ask what kind of motor I should use for maximum payloads.

I want a longer thrust phase than standart whistle without loosing thrust.

The tool that I used in the past has a slightly longer spindle than the standard design. It's carries good payloads straight up, but the height is so low I could also use a mortar.

To much delay and they become lawn darts.

Is there something prooven between pusher and LWS?

Edited by dangerousamateur

Ned Gorski, Dan Thames and Steve Kurskinski have all used special whistle tooling and fuels to lift very heavy shells over that past several years. I would pursue them with this question to find out what they used to lift the monster shells to height.

Dangerousamateur I used to make whistle rockets up to 44mm id. And lifted a 10" ballshellheader with it. The tool was designed with the rts skether.

The fuel used is standard whistle with 76KClO4, 23Kbenz, 1coperoxichloride, 2vasiline. The amount of fuel was 700grams. It was a powerfull experience.

post-10830-0-94995500-1379202585_thumb.jpg

post-10830-0-09896700-1379203867_thumb.jpg

Edited by Rocketier

Rocketier,

I have seen your rockets on Passfire, they are very impressive!

dangerousamateur,

Are you using sali or benz fuel? For lifting heavy payloads, I think bnez is the way to go.

For benzoate whistle, I prefer a more narrow spindle than the pusher or LWS.

I make my heavy lifting motors on "standard" BP tooling, 1/2 ID diameter and 6 ID's tall. You can go even more narrow and longer than that if you use something like Dan Thame's "Super Whistle" which burns a little slower than regular benz whistle.

WB

Not mine!

Cplmac is a member here but an irregular visitor, some of his postings may offer you some guidance. If he can get 35pounds of rocket into the sky he must be doing something right enough to learn from.

If you are going to fly a rocket like that be careful where the stick lands!

Hi

you've got some crazy monster there :D

Rocketiers version looks like a normal whistle tool with slightly longer spindle.

Sadly I only have benzoates.

a more narrow spindle than the pusher or LWS

More narrow = more pressure, more thrust?

I'm no rocket master,

but I think my 1lb whistle fly quite well. ^_^

My spindle: 6 cm long, 10mm at the base, 8.5 mm at the tip.

With 76/23/1 +3% vaseline I get about 600-700g payload

in the air.

This rocket here, had a 650g shell on top.

https://www.youtube....h?v=wK1nSPTlrvA

But if you want a long coasting phase, you can not have too much payload.

Or you take a "too big" motor, for a "too small" shell.

For example If you have taken a 1lb motor for a 4 "shell , take a 3lb motor for it and press into something more delay. Thus the rocket flies straight up without losing its thrust.

Greets

VP

Edited by VikingPyrotechnics

@VikingPyrotechnics:

Can you bring your rockets to cato with a too hot fuel? I mean, are you at the limit, or are you even able with your means to make hotter fuel?

Do you feel the spindle could be even longer?

I often read salycilate makes hotter fuel, on the other hand the at wichitabuggywhip the author states that benzoates are better. I don't have salycilate anyway. Should i bother getting some?

Edited by dangerousamateur

I had a more detailed post typed up, but my computer decided that it was time to restart, and I lost it.

Essentially, it said that "most" people, including

Ned Gorski, Dan Thames and Steve Kurskinski

make heavy lifting rockets using benzoate whistle.

For 6lb motors using "Super Whistle", I think Ned used a 1/2" diameter x 6" long taper pin to lift 8" balls.

I believe Steve K. uses H-U tooling, maybe he will chime in about that.

Dan T. uses tapered cap screws of varying lengths for different effects. IIRC he used his "Super Whistle" with a 5/16" diameter x 5" long spindle in 1lb motors to lift 6" ball shells.

Using benz fuel and CuOxy as a catalyst, I use a 3/8" diameter x 4.5" spindle in 1lb motors to easily lift 4" two break cylinders ~1kg.

Also, Ben Smith designed some tooling for making powerful benz rockets, so you might want to chat with him as well.

Another option to look into is multi-stage rockets. A lot of fuel is burned up while the rocket is still on the pad, so you could use a booster to get the mass moving, then another motor on top of that to get it to your desired height.

WB

I have a set of tooling which is available from Steve K that uses stainless steel taper pins as interchangeable spindles. I am still working on getting motors dialed in for it before I post them. It is a great system for fine tuning your motors. The idea is to match your fuel and spindle for the performance you want. It just takes time and a big field for 1" whistle rockets.

big field indeed i can attest to me never finding a spent tube { but would love to hear your results when you have them dialled in } im pretty happy with what ive got now but will always be in pursuit of more power with a great whistle

and nater does steve k sell his tooling commercially / online

Edited by leedrill