APC Forum

Buzz Bomb/Helicopter devices

deepdixie

Nice work Leedrill. Those flew very nicely. Are you hand ramming the comp in your copters? I have some -20+200 Titanium Flake but a fellow pyro told me to never hand ram Titanium in the comp, no matter the mesh size, only to include it if using a hydraulic press.

Attached is one of mine. I use a 1/2 ID 4 ounce Rocket tube and purchase commercially manufactured wings. It's basically a replica of a Class C device with a much larger flash report. I drill a 1/8 inch flash hole through the clay plug on the top end where the burning propellant can ignite the header.

Carbon796, thanks for the advice. I believe with the next batch I make I will drill the vent hole through the clay plug and try to eliminate much of the problem with the vent hole erosion.

post-18556-0-03548100-1390096060_thumb.jpg

Edited by deepdixie

I wonder if stepping the end of the rammer would work -better or as good as- beveling it. My thought is it would leave more clay to protect the tube than just a bevel.

(something like this http://imgur.com/YZxsGvf )

Nice stuff Lee!! How were your headers attached?

Edited by Maserface

I've seen it done both ways, I prefer the beveled rammer. In theory it directs the exhaust gases away from the tube wall, and towards the vent. In your example the beveled rammer needs to come to almost a point. With the vent drilled to intersect that point. This will leave almost a 1/2 I.D. of clay protecting the vent. The stepped rammers should be about 1/2-1/3 Of the inside tube Dia.

They were discussing an interesting variation on this over at fireworking dot com. Take a small cored rocket (3/8 or 1/2) with a nozzle and at the opposite end from the nozzle, drill a hole into the comp just under the clay bulkhead. The hole should be straight, not tangential or at an angle. Fuse and light at this hole. First of all it starts spinning on the ground about its center, but when fire reaches the core and it starts to push along, gyroscopic precession makes it stand up and take off like a rocket, and conservation of angular momentum makes it spin about its axis. With plastic wings on, it could go really high.

could you pm me the thread for this peret i have not seen the thread on this but i dont do as much reading as i should on fireworking

Peret, I cannot picture how wings could be attached to that device. It flies standing up, so the wings could need to be attached to the end opposite the nozzle, much like a wooden puddle jumper toy. I think any attached wings would inhibit it spinning up on the ground and risk a very unpredictable flight.

Was going to say the same things about the wings. I think they would just get in the way. If it did work it would be like putting wings on a stinger which isn't needed. They might actually slow down the axial spin and the cored rocket section should give all the height you need. But it can't hurt to experiment.

• 3 weeks later...

Is this kinda what Ned is describing?

Here is one of my designs copying a shogon flying ground bloom.

Here is a short clip of one flying:

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/pyrojig/media/photobucket-16929-1386566981479.mp4.html

http://i918.photobucket.com/albums/ad24/pyrojig/content---media-external-images-media-44.jpg

Edited by pyrojig

Close. What Lloyd described was had a vent drilled perpindicular to the casing, at the top. It is placed on its side when lit, so it spins up like a ground bloom flower. When the core ignites, it stands up and takes off.