APC Forum

Self confined kno3 mgal flash

Monster90ash

As i said i mixed in the mortar by rolling it around. I never once used the word pestle. So please stop assuming

I think rolling it around is a bit different than stirring...and since mortar and pestles are a set of tools, the pestle being for "stirring" around the contents, it's quite justifiable to assume you were using it, especially considering you didn't mention otherwise. Flash that is tumbling is not likely to self ignite. The addition of sulfur increases shock, friction, and temperature sensitivities. It's kind of dumb that you say you are experienced, but yet are "grinding" chunks out of already mixed, friction sensitive comp, in a mortar! If you have lumpy chems, pre-screen them, and make sure if there is something you might need to apply force to break up, it's not mixed in a burnable fuel/oxidizer ratio. Had you mixed the nitrate and sulfur, and screened it a good 2-3 times, then screen in the metal, you would not be in this situation.

I would personally disagree with the not storing flash statement, but that's another discussion.

I would personally disagree with the not storing flash statement, but that's another discussion.

In my case I only have a type 4 magazine, and bulk flash requires a type 1.

KO

In my case I only have a type 4 magazine, and bulk flash requires a type 1.

KO

where can i purchase magazines for storage?

Most are built, but there are several places that manufacture them. I included links to the two most prominent manufacturers, as well as a google result containing many others.

http://www.armagcorp...sives-magazines

http://www.usexplosivestorage.com/

https://www.google.c...losive magazine

If you go the route of building your own, I'd suggest taking a look at the ATF orange book. It has all the federal laws, as well as magazine requirements if you decided to build your own. Making a type 4 is fairly simple, and relatively inexpensive. You can take a pre-manufactured jobox, and with minimal modifications it becomes a passable type 4 magazine.

http://www.atf.gov/p...ives-arson.html

Even if I had a suitable magazine, I'd still prefer not to store loose flash. I make it as I need it, and get it all sealed up before the end of the day. There is at least one major accident that resulted from the (legal) storage of bulk flash powders. There are other factors, but it's still not something I like having around.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok so just to smooth out the powder a little i stirred lightly in a mortar ( very lightly ) 30 seconds later there was a loud crack and flash! The mix self confined and pretty much blew my hand out the mortar!

As i said i mixed in the mortar by rolling it around. I never once used the word pestle. So please stop assuming

First off, self confined does not = spontaneous combustion. From what I gather, self confining is when a pile of powder can be ignited in the open air at X weight and produce a report. Once X is reached and you have a report produced by igniting open powder you have the value of weight the given comp self confines at.

And second, if you were just swirling the comp in a mortar without the pestle how did your hand get blown OUT of the mortar. Quit trying to BS us here, the only person you're fooling is yourself.

Basically everything you said makes it very clear you are not very experienced, and definitely do not have the respect or knowledge to be working with flash powder.

What happened is that you were being stupid and are lucky you didn't get hurt worse.

I Agree Completley!

Oh man I just re-read that. Good point Juiceh! How does ones hand get blown out of the bowl when you are only swirling the container? Sounds like conflicting stories. I've "heard" that rolling the comp in a paper cup works great in small quantities ( < 10 grams). I know a lot of folks who mix much more, but I like to keep it small.
  • Like 1