APC Forum

Firework accidents

SideGlance

This thread is for accidents that have happened to you while making fireworks or setting them off. What happend and how it could of been prevented.

Do not throw stars in the fire with the same hand that is holding them,OUCH that was dumb, blistered fingers for a couple weeks.

I tried to light a 1g test of large granulated BP with a match. Burnt my fingers and singed the hair on my knuckles,got off alright. Always use a long match, or fuse to test batches of mixes.

Is it a badge of honor or badge of inexperience to not have had any accidents?

Whatever the accident, severe or slight, we all probably have PPE that should have been worn to lessen the end results. Yeah, it's easier to work without PPE but it will save your butt from a self-kickin' if you survive an accident.

these all seem like minor accidents which could have been avoided with common sense..

I've experienced muzzle breaks with both consumer and display shells. No injuries, since I always wear serious PPE when hand-lighting - even for consumer shells. Getting pelted with stars from an excal will make you sit up and take notice, and a 4" display shell will knock you on your butt....

I've seen a 3" ti salute go off in the gun. Injured one fellow pretty badly - and he was wearing both bunker coat and pants. They still ended picking shreds of wood and fiberglass from his butt. This accident resulted in the company no longer including individual salutes on hand-fired shows.

The only pyro injury I've suffered was lighting a piece of crap visco with a *very* unpredictable/unreliable burn rate.

Kevin O

Avoid metal bowls in sunlight. Same with other light focusing objects.

Sparks can smolder hidden for a long time. If anything has been fired you should consider everything else in the area about to go off too. While not an everyday occurance, I've seen things go off from this quite some time after the last firework was fired.

I basically just accept small burns from lighting fuses and stars with bic lighters as a part of life. Some people mind them but after the first few hundred your fingers harden up and it don't hurt. Not a good idea with loose piles of some mixes. I don't mind a little burn but don't want to loose a finger.

Had a freeze burn from venting liquid nitrous oxide from a hybrid during a test run. Could have been avoided with welding mitts that i now use. Also ended up believe it or not with metal fume sickness from using a galvanized nozzle during a static burn test. Now use a gas mask and avoid using galv.

Oh and once had a sugar rocket explode on the ground. Still unsure as to what actually happened because i did everything right. Something happening inside the rocket Is all i can assume. Got burned by that one