APC Forum

wiper motor star roller mounting

JFeve81

I've been planning a star roller using a wiper motor and either half a 5 gallon bucket or a stainless bowl. What would be the best way to attach either to the motor? Just bolt it directly?

I would attach the bucket or bowl to a round wood plate with screws. The wood plate attaches to the motor shaft and helps distribute the weight placed on the motor shaft. Based on my experience and other comments on start rollers, the stainless bowls can give problems getting cores to form. Look for a bowl with rounded bottoms.

Mine is bolted directly to the motor shaft.

A large repair washer on the inside and a disc cut from 1mm aluminium help give the bucket some rigidity, I also added a small cabinet caster which fits neatly between the bucket bottom and the bracket for extra support. I use a power supply unit from an old PC as a 12v power source, with a 10A pulse width modulator for speed control.

I wouldn't bother with a stainless steel bowl, I cant see the point, it won't make your stars any rounder. Whatever you use, you'll want to scuff it up with some fine grit sandpaper, otherwise it will be too slick.

Yeah, that washer is similar to the wood plate....just something to spread the load and support the bucket. The roller I have is very light duty and will probably end up building a stouter one from a bucket of some type. I use power window motors. Auto repair shops usually throw these away when replaced because the guides or cables break but the motor is usually still good.