APC Forum

5" mushroom+5" farfalle

Givat

Made this shells for a pyro meeting in israel but the police stoped the meeting before I lit this shells, good thing they let me take them home :)

5" round shell mushroom pattern. it had a drag rop (about 80 c"m) but it still explode upside down :/

5" italian shell with green center stars + 11 3/4" farfalle with Fe/BP + airbooms.

Those look great!

I'm not sure if I would have paired green with an Fe Farfalle, due to the large difference in brightness. It looked great anyway though. Were those organic or metallic fueled stars?

Also, I'm guessing by your comment that mushrooms are supposed to explode with the round part facing down? Had you not said so I would have thought it performed perfectly :P

• Like 1

Nice shells, sad the dragrope didn't work out, it was a nice try anyway.

how thick was your rope?

Did the farfalle had one also?

well done givat, I like it that you tried making a mushroom shape. I too have had mixed results with dragropes. I tried positioning a heart shaped 5"er with an attached hemp rope , but had the same result as you had, it did not position the way I wanted it. I saw a couple of clips of mushroom type of pattern shells, and they mysteriously all broke with the round side upwards.

Keep trying, that's part of the fun..:)

thanks for sharing,

best

fred

Maybey the key to succses would be attaching it to the lower hemi, I think I'm gonna try that.

thanks for the good comments =]

flying fish, the stars are MgAl metallic stars. and if you look again in the mushroom video you will see I edited the video so it will break in the right direction (the movie is upside down)

RNX, the drag rope was about 0.5" thick and thew farfalle shell had no rope.

• 3 weeks later...

I think you might have better success with your drag rope if you increase the lift or cut down on the timefuse. While it was still going up, I think your shell was just too slow for it to be functioning when it exploded. I also personally paste paper over the base of the cord and where it meets the shell so the first 10-20cm are encased in a stiff skin and the pull on the cord uses lever action to more effectively wind vane.

Otherwise, it was lovely! So was your other shell. The Fe in the insets was a nice rediscovery of the old effect, since it's quite rare to see, but it looked great, and I be it looked better in person. The green pistil is just lovely. What is the formula?

Sounds like you got caught by a really decent and nice cop!

• 3 weeks later...

I think you are right Seymour, maybe the rope worked but the the shell lost it direction in the apogee.

as for the stiff rope, you always put the rope on the opposite side of the time fuse?

the green pistil is a formula I "created":

Barium nitrate - 55

MgAl - 20

PVC - 15

sulfur - 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...