APC Forum

what is KP and Kn

eb11

It's usually shorthand for the common oxidisers we use. KP standing for Potassium Perchlorate, KClO4. KN could stand for Potassium Nitrate (KNO3), but I don't often see it abbreviated like that.

KP can also refer to a type of burst composition for shells that is similar to black powder but uses KClO4, instead of the standard nitrate, hence the name.

Those terms might also be used in rocketry, but I'm not 100% sure of what they mean in that sense.

Edited by psyco_1322

K is potassium on the periodic table, N is for nitrate in this case. I see this used mainly in sugar rocket discussions ( knsu)

As k is for potassium kp is potassium perchlorate but also a burst composition as psyco stated.

Dan.

KN is used for two things in rocketry IIRC.

The form you don't often see here but is probably used most by the high power rocketeers refers to the ratio between surface area of the nossle at it's narrowest, and the total surface area of propellant burning. The same theory applies to us of course, but I our stuff is more experimental, made of cardboard and trial and error. Why is this ratio called the KN ratio? I don't actually know.

I do, especially in the chat room very often refer to KNO3 as KN. This comes from my exposure to Ex Rocketry where KN is used much like the acronym AP. think KNSU, KNDX and all those Potassium nitrate composites. I'm sure I'm guilty of using this abbreviation on the forum too.

Edited by Seymour

Here I thought it was a rub off from texting! :P But no, it's from those people that supposedly hand out cookies and milk from the dark side. :wacko:

thanks guys thats what i thought was just checking before i get myself into trouble