APC Forum

A comparison of Nozzleless v.s. Nozzled Motors

dagabu

I would like to start the cataloging of motors (using the most common rocket size as the standard) tested on thrust stands where the parameters are unchanged throughout that specific fuel or fuse method. For this thread, I am looking for .75", 3/4", #1 or 19mm ID motors using the Universal Hybrid Tooling sold by Steve La Duke, Ben Smith, Rich Wolter or others made to the same specifications.

If the specifications are needed, PM me and I will send you the shop drawing for reproduction.

Please be very specific about the motor build, Loading Pressure, KNO3, Charcoal, Nozzle Material etc. so that someone else could reproduce your results if they wish. It would be good to have two of each for side by side comparison in case something happens like a spark from a visco dropping down into the motor causing a drastic pressure spike.

The actual curves would be the best, you can use the Snipping Tool in Windows or a screen capture program to grab the curves and post them here.

FYI: Ben Smith's Universal Core Burner Spindle is NOT identical to SLD's specs.

Nor are Rich's or others spindles, they all vary slightly but the overall specification should be within tolerance for someone else to make a similar motor with the tooling. The overall difference is the base of the spindle, the length and taper are the same, I have a set from each and they are all three well within specs.

gallery_9798_35_3561.jpg

gallery_9798_35_36247.jpg

Edited by dagabu

Do you want to start with BP motors for now? Also, I have not had good results with nozzleless BP motors on the Hybrid/Universal spindles. Whistle yes, but BP and no nozzle does not lift much more than the weight of the motor and stick. Edited by nater

Do you want to start with BP motors for now? Also, I have not had good results with nozzleless BP motors on the Hybrid/Universal spindles. Whistle yes, but BP and no nozzle does not lift much more than the weight of the motor and stick.

Thank you for putting flesh and bone on the nozzleless issue Nate. I have had fantastic results with nozzleless motors, I routinely lift 3.5" cylinder shells to a nice height with 116 Fuse powder nozzleless rockets. That powder is pretty darn close to 60:30:10 BP.

Yes, I would like to start with BP, a BP that will not CATO either motor.