APC Forum

First batch of BP!

BlastFromThePast

To be completely honest, I'm not sure if dextrose will work or not. Dextrose is a starch and there are 2 starch based pyro binders that come to mind, dextrin and SGRS which is soluble glutinous rice starch. There might be more, but I'm not sure. Can someone speak to whether dextrose is a viable option? Also, Risk, if you have the money it might be worth purchasing 2 grinders. One for oxidizers and one for fuels. But if not then as you said try to clean the one out as best as you can in between milling different chems.

* edit, apparently dextrin can be made from many different types of starches, and it's that in the US corn is the most commonly used. That being said, I think you could make dextrin from dextrose. I'm not 100% certain but it might be worth trying.

Edited by BlastFromThePast

Dextrose can be useful for some things in pyrotechnics, but it cannot be converted into dextrin.

While we call it cornstarch in the US, the product you're looking for in australia is actually corn flour. This gets confusing every so often, as people often forget about the difference. According to the internet, the product you guys purchase is often made from wheat however. In any case, it doesn't really matter and should work the same.

My BP which I make in 500 gram batches has 4% dextrin. It does not seem to slow anything down at that % . So in that batch there is 20 grams of dextrin. It makes a hard granulated powder for lift and I would not want or need anything hotter. That is using vine charcoal in the usual 75/15/10 combination. In the mill that I put up a pic, 4 hours is all that is needed. I once tried red gum, but it was too soft in granulation and there was a difference in speed. Mumbles can put me right, but activated charcoal is used to absorb swallowed stuff in A&E and in its processing all the volatiles are burnt out. I tried pine once but it was slower with lots of sparks. I only use it for TT.