APC Forum

What type of explosive substance should I use? (Practical doubt)

vivlaliberte

Hello fellas, how you guys doing? This is my first post in this forum and I'm really pleased with the its design...It's really functional, I hope I manage to get in socially! Now let's get to the thing we all love:

I've truely always been interested in fireworks and explosives, particularly from the chemistry point of view and the reactions that occur, now, I'm finally able to do something since I'm now a legal adult;

To initiate in this, I've chosen a local festivity here in south america that's coming soon! So I gotta learn really quick, haha!

As far as the detonator, I've understood how to make one out of walkie-talkies :D but I'm having trouble chosing the type of explosive... <_< <_<

Now, I'm planning on attaching this explosive (Perhaps black powder?) to the ceiling, and cover it with a thin plastic bag of water...The explosive would obviously be connected to the detonator. Now: I understand security is key in this type of hobby (as it should really be in all hobies experimenting with high-grade explosives, and trust me, I measure each step!! I'm kind of OCD guess that's good for this hobby! Lol), and I don't wanna hurt anyone if they'd happen to be below the water, thus...Is M-60 what I'm looking at for a high-blast without damage?

Thanks and I really hope you can help me!

-Vivllaiberte!

Edited by vivlaliberte

i don't think your post will go over well here...making walkie talkie detonators just sounds like a bad idea from the start
  • Like 1

i don't think your post will go over well here...making walkie talkie detonators just sounds like a bad idea from the start

Don't worry about it mumbles will take care of it.

Don't worry about it mumbles will take care of it.

I assumed it would be gone pretty quickly haha

"So I gotta learn really quick, haha!" -Vivllaiberte!

Learn very carefully, the pyro hobby bites back.

If you don't have access to commercial devices in your country then maybe you shouldn't be rushing into things without a LOT of learning.

it's more about fireworks, like creating something beatifull, not actualy to blow stuff up. so you are trying to make special effect or what? also i don't think explosives is best way to start. reading is :P

If you use pyrotechnics or explosives indoors with people present you are almost guaranteed to hurt someone. I wouldn't even consider it. I have no idea what you are trying to accomplish with the bag of water but if you're trying to get someone wet as a practical joke just rig something up with a toy squirt gun...

a lot of night club fires are started because of improper use if fireworks indoor. If you don't end up blowing the heck out of the building you will start a fire and get authorities showing up asking all kinds of question. If you are after a practical joke then all you need is a water balloon that is activated non-explosively, such as pushing a needle into it via a servo, or dropped from the ceiling.

NEVER EVER use pyrotechnic devices indoor unless it is specifically designed for indoor use, with supervision from a professional to make sure no one gets hurt.

Edited by taiwanluthiers

Dude, seriously.....

Black powder on the ceiling as a prank? We are serious craftsman here and it takes years to acheive the knowledge and skills many people in this forum have. If you want to learn about the art of fireworking, this is a great resource. I don't think your going to get much help with pranks and booby traps. Explosives are not toys.

Guys, I understand your concerns, but I have been reading quite a few fluid mechanics books, and chemistry, too. Now, this is for part special effects part theoretical knowledge. OF COURSE I am not going to do this inside a house, inner environment, and OF COURSE NO ONE will be near 100m radius of it.

I had to start with something so I happened to join this forum, now, the way black powder force develops in the splashing of the area below, and the relationship between newtons of force and squared meters splashed is interesting too.

To finalize, I'd like to understand the relationship between the disposition of the powder and the effect this takes on the splahing, bidimensional placement of the powder?

I'm sorry If you guys didn't fully get this or my first comments, but I hope I'm still greeted into the forum; sadly english isn't my native language so I bet you may have some comprehension issues.

In reference to the walkie talkie issue, I think it's secondary, the main thing is understanding the physics and chemistry involved.

-vivlaliberte

I'm a little surprised this hasn't been locked. What you asking for as a prank is the kind of information 99% of people should never have....make a star mine your friends will like it more.

I won't bother re-hashing what the members have said, but they're quite right.

This is not the place for such discussion.