APC Forum

sparking charcoal?

Oinikis

----------------- Edited by Oinikis

what are you trying to say?

no, realized some stuff. was firing the fireplace, was adding more logs, and i touched the burning chared logs, and it produced sparks as expected, but they acted like crackling microstars, almost struck to my face! sparks just started crackling in the air, and gone everywhere. i was wondering what coused it, and of course, could i make stars with tail, whitch has that effect. then changed my mind... the logs was bit moist, and it had thick bark, where most of the moist was in. it looked like chared bark produced it. anyone experienced such a thing? sorry for confusion. Edited by Oinikis

yes and i experience it quite often, but that one was strong. later tried to burn some bark of that wood, no crackling sparks. what wood produced it? Edited by Oinikis

I have had it happen but I don't think it is specific to one type of wood. I've had oak do it in the fireplace and pine in fire pit outside. It seems to have done it well into a burn like when the whole log is glowing red. I would guess it is from glowing embers hitting oxygen rich air and something happening with more oxygen causing it to pop. You mentioned wet wood which made me think maybe some water was exposed and heated quickly and made a sudden burst of steam. But it has happened to me with very dry wood and long into a fire after any water would have been cooked off.

the wood i think is called acute but it happens whith many types of woods and with charcoal briquetes

I get that reaction also. Always assumed it was trapped moisture or air pockets that suddenly are released. Only other thought was fresh exposed steel on the poker.

i think this is down to woodworm or other grubs that live in the wood . they burrow in to the wood making a nice tight fit .as they get warm they expand basicly get fired out there hole causing a pop and a cracking sound ,i may be wrong but its my best guess .

no, it's a spark in the mid air cracking, and these smaller peaces flying away

no, it's a spark in the mid air cracking, and these smaller peaces flying away

I've seen that, don't remember what species of wood it was.

When stove/fireplace insert was opened fresh air hit the wood and it would throw branching sparks

Doubt if it would have that effect in a pyro comp

I believe Cedar crackles like that. Maybe Hedge also, but I think it pops more, can't remember.

interesting what couses it, and how to make that thing? i think tigertail with these crackling sparks would look super cool.

I have some "cowboy " brand charcoal that when blown on produces nice spark crackles. I think it is oak, but how they make it i believe is how it is so reactive. was thinking of splintering a few chunks and making a star core from them.

I have some "cowboy " brand charcoal that when blown on produces nice spark crackles. I think it is oak, but how they make it i believe is how it is so reactive. was thinking of splintering a few chunks and making a star core from them.

It's the type of wood that causes this, not the process.

Cowboy is Oak produced in open air kilns made from scrap slabs from the sawmill

I've been to their facility numerous times