APC Forum

Slither, before you craw, before you walk, before you run.

Excal

OK, a general consensus, which is a good one is to learn slowly and work your way up. This was my first attempt at anything pyro related and it did work out pretty good. I think it would be the best way for someone getting into pyro to learn before doing anything else. Previously in the past I had paid money to achieve this result, and after doing just a bit of research it was easily achievable.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj91/keith37_2007/coloredfire_zps3c3f1620.jpg

Basically campfire blue soaked pieces of Douglas fir. Made a slurry out of the chemical just using water and then soaked the pieces for a couple of days. Removed the pieces and let them dry out for a week or two, then tossed them on the fire. About as easy as you can get and I was rewarded with some really deep blues, greens and a few tinges of red/pink. We really enjoy backyard bbq'ing and sitting around the fire, so it was a big hit with all. Everyone really enjoyed it. I had purchased the chemical probably a year ago and just never really tried it.

Well that looks pretty cozy to me! :P

Mark

edit: Actually I saw this and had to go light the BBQ!

Edited by marks265

Well, to be south correct,, it is "backyard grillin". A transplant from Kentucky here, so's I have to be correct about it. That reminds me,,marinated rib eyes tonight with southern marinade Allegro shipped to me by my folks in KY and SC.

I digress,,on my own thread.

I see two types of new folks on here starting out with pyro. Its the kids rolling in here asking the question about salutes, and prompty getting there hand chewed off,,of which they should or will eventually.(safety first and the reason for my thread). Or its the more mature folks wanting to go there but knowing they shouldn't, or that they need to do there research first.

Don't build salutes first and just starting out,, young or old, .

Skylighter sells campfire blue and the chemically correct name as well, They are both currently out of stock at the moment, but when it is back grab some and try this first. Don't tell your friends about it,,just surprise them around the fire one night. keep it a secret!. You will be rewarded with the ooo's and aahh's and the "hey, how did you do that?". It's a more grandiose smiling moment than when a salute goes off. It's a ultra PG rated use of pyrochemicals and the effects linger longer than the biggest pressed stars. just don't breathe in the smoke (again,,there is that word,,research).