APC Forum

Closing Cylindrical Shells

AirCowPeacock

I’m not as much asking about giving fire as I am the location of where the fire is given. For cylindrical shells is it important to have the fire from the timing device pass the fire to the direct center of the shell? As for example you want a spherical shell to have the fire begin at the direct center of the shell. Is this not important for cylindrical regarding break symmetry? Edited by chemtech89

Not usually. The spolette is often being pushed into the canule powder core, sometimes from both ends of the shell. A passfire tube just wouldn't work very well in these cases. A lot of times when using timed inserts, you want the shell to light at on end specifically. The inserts closest to the end where fire enters the shell, will be thrown farthest from the break, these are the inserts with the longer timings. This allows you to make shells with rings of timed inserts. A passfire tube is to help ensure a more spherical break in ball shells, cylinder shells are not meant to have "perfect ball" breaks, it is simply not the intended effect.

My camera is in the shop right now for repair. I fought with the thing all last year and it will be darn worth it when I get it back. I miss it. Maybe when I get it back I can do a vid on this.

Mark

Psyco, to me it's more about getting a lot of fire spread out in the shell as quickly as possible. Clearly a spolette has no problems with this. I felt that time fuse didn't give the same pop as spolette fused shells. I noticed a definite improvement after adding the quickmatch "booster" to the end of the time fuse. I did start with poorer quality fuse than is available now however, though kept up with the practice out of habit at least. Other sorts of fire enhancements would probably work just as well, but QM is easy and cheap.

Psyco, to me it's more about getting a lot of fire spread out in the shell as quickly as possible. Clearly a spolette has no problems with this. I felt that time fuse didn't give the same pop as spolette fused shells. I noticed a definite improvement after adding the quickmatch "booster" to the end of the time fuse. I did start with poorer quality fuse than is available now however, though kept up with the practice out of habit at least. Other sorts of fire enhancements would probably work just as well, but QM is easy and cheap.

That is a good practice. If I was fusing my shell with time fuse, I'd put a small tube around the time fuse, like a passfire tube, but only about as long as a spolette would be. I stuff it full of match and give a little nosing with a wrap of tape. So essentially it does the same as a spolette, and takes up the same amount of space.