APC Forum

What are the best MMO compositions for chlorate production

oldmanbeefjerky

Hi,

lately ive decided to start my ebaying again, whilst looking at different titanium prices, i came across a company that manufactures MMO electrode plates (but not mesh as far as i know), for a very reasonable price, and ive been thinking now, that this company would be perfect to get MMO wholesale from to build chlorate electrodes with. Problem is, i dont know what MMO composition is best for making chlorate with, ideally i want something the same as laserreds MMO. I received an email from the company and they said their MMO electrodes can be used for chlorate, however i get the feeling these people know absolutely nothing about what they are selling, so im going to inqire about the different compositions they have available. For example, iridium tin oxide MMO, used in pool chlorinators, has the potential to make chlorate when used at very low currents, but the rate of corrosion is very high, it can, but shouldnt, which is what i think is the case here.

Anyway, what are the best compositions for making chlorate with, and what composition is laserreds MMO made out of?

Thanks

I think laserred's MMO is the Ruthenium/Iridium type, and they're ideal for chlorate. I heard some can be used for perchlorate but I am not clear on what kind.. I am thinking of getting platinum coated titanium for perchlorate production just because I would feel safer to make perchlorate...

...what are the best compositions for making chlorate with, and what composition is laserreds MMO made out of?

They say laserred's MMO is "iridium/ruthenium". The basic MMO is TiO2/RuO2, but better MMO includes some IrO2 as well, for better performance in low chloride and other abusive conditions. Do they offer various formulations and if so, what are they? (inquisitive minds want to know ;))

Thanks for sharing.

WSM B)

Edited by WSM

well im still waiting for them to let me know what compositions they have available. From what i know so far they have MMO made from 4 platinum group metals, but thats it.

hey how thick would you guess is lasereds MMO coating? for some reason they cant tell me the different compositions available until they know the dimensions and thickness of the coating i want.