APC Forum

paintball shotgun using a potatocannon

oriansbelt

Me and my friend spent the afternoon today filling up my potato cannon with paintball rounds. We found a Dixie cup cut 4 times with the cuts on opposit sides from each other worked best for the wading farthest down the barrel. Then we filled the barrel with about 8" of sweating paintballs he had and topped it off with a 6"x6" piece of brown-paper-bag folded in fourths worked well for a top wading. Then for something more portable we got an empty cocking gun cartige, filled that with paintballs and put the pionty end in first. We had a pretty fun time and used up a bunch of worthless paintballs!

• 2 years later...

Some of our research into paintball shotgun shells is documente in the "First Cannon Prototype Tests" on the Dead By Dawn site: http://www.dead-by-dawn.org/tech.htm

Also, from the www.DOOMLABS.com site, under Devastator II you can see the foam cutter and wadding we eventually used for this type of loading.

Since then, paintball fields for the most part have gone to all-nerf based. Those that hadn't still didn't like the plastic cup based rounds (or any gluing of paintballs).

While I strongly prefer nerfs - for distance and accuracy - the honesty and judging - of a tank/etc "taking the hit" has gone down a lot. So for certain fields I'd rather have paintball shotguns, with the different colored paint, for deterministic hit confirmation.