APC Forum

Just got roll of magnesium ribbon dont know what to do now

oldmanbeefjerky

hi,

recently on ebay i decided to start buying up stuff like crazy, for my various hobbies and projects that i can now start having just moved .

Among those things, i discovered i could at last get some magnesium ribbon. The two main reasons for getting the mag ribbon was 1, to cut it up into tiny peices to use in my electronic initiators, to raise combustion tempurature and prevent the aluminium from degrading over time, 2, to burn under water.

Sadly, my ribbon would not burn under water, it just fizzles out, and aside from the high temp initators, i really dont know what else to do with it.

Anyone have any fun suggestions?

One silly thing I have tried was to put a magnesium ribbon through a wet pumped star. It made the star burn despite the wetness.

Well if you have nothing to do with it and don't want it why not make pottasium. Pottasium burns on water (or the hydrogen does). All you need is Mg Potassium hydroxide and a tertiary alcohol, mineral oil ( or preferably a more dense inert oil) and some basic chemistry knowledge. When you have those things you can make potassium metal. Fun and dangerous stuff. Just an idea.

nah im working on a sodium devile reduction setup for my sodium. that method wouldnt yeild all that much potassium or sodium anyway. But thanks for the suggestion ill keep that in mind.