APC Forum

New project: Hemisphere die

Dean411

This is a new project I've started today I made the dies to press 3" hemi's I think it should work well the line in the pics is the equator. The larger of the 2 is going into casting resin to see if the concept will work as I had to order tooling to machine the dish die and with the long weekend I wouldn't have time to machine it before the end of the day tomorrow. post-11493-0-97349900-1353445607_thumb.jpgpost-11493-0-38316700-1353445624_thumb.jpgpost-11493-0-13418500-1353445643_thumb.jpgpost-11493-0-65318800-1353445657_thumb.jpg

They are tapped to fit my hydraulic cylinder and are made from stainless steel.

If they work as planned I am going to make a set for 4" and 5".

Dean

I see you are enjoying a new project today. It looks very nice Dean! I wish I had some real tools ay my disposal again so you're making me a little jealous here! As far as the "dish" goes, Are you going to offset one of the diameters to accept the thickness of the paper material? It sounds like you want to press paper to form hemi's.

Mark

Mark,

if you look at the pics the one is a larger diameter that one is offset for the dish to make a 3/16 thick hemisphere.

And I may also make 1 to make nested hemis and save alot of time pasting.

I figured i would start with 3" and go up from there if it works out.

Dean

Great, I'm doing a lot of key tapping tonight so I missed the "bigger" picture ;-) I measured one of my nominal 3" shell hemi's and it had a thickness of about .075 - .080.

Regards

Mark

My die set is about the same its 3/16's different which make a wall about .09 thick.

I made the resin cast last night and will be using it for an attempt before the weekend is over I will keep you posted Mark

I also have the info on the 1 1/4 plate you want I will PM you tonight if your deadline hasn't changed.

Dean

My die set is about the same its 3/16's different which make a wall about .09 thick.

I made the resin cast last night and will be using it for an attempt before the weekend is over I will keep you posted Mark

I also have the info on the 1 1/4 plate you want I will PM you tonight if your deadline hasn't changed.

Dean

Oh yes, I'm still interested. Free quotes are always accepted :P and we have plenty of time.

Thanks,

Mark

Dean11

Those look amazing !!! I am trying to create something like these with maple or other hardwood. I love the concept of making your own hemis. You have options to customize to your taste . It is nice to see great craftsmanship!!