APC Forum

New Stand

nater

I was looking for a way to make a portable stand for various devices and came across this idea from the HPR crowd. The Rockwell Jaw Stand right out of the box makes for a stable, portable platform to launch and hold various things.

The channel where the clamp resides is 2"x2", each leg is 18" from the center and 31" from one leg to another. This part can be angled from 0-90 degrees which makes loading and adjusting for wind nice and easy. There are already holes drilled in the legs, so the entire stand can be staked to the ground. The flats are large enough to hold it down with a few sand bags too. The stand comes apart in 2 pieces and can be folded up for easy storage and transportation in the trunk of a car.

Shown in the picture is a length of 1" PVC pipe holding an inert 1 pound rocket. Most likely I will make a square block to hold the pipe in so it is more secure in the clamp. For HPR use the extruded aluminum from 80/20 is commonly used as a launch rail and sits in the clamp secure without any modifications. I also believe the same aluminum rail with an axle could be used to secure a wheel. I also don't see why this couldn't be used to launch a girandola with proper support on the base.

IMG_0044.JPG

IMG_0045.JPG

Edited by nater

Very nice stand mine is just pvc pipes in bucket with cement

Buckets, spikes, rebar - those things all work great for supporting a single section of PVC pipe to launch stick rockets out of. If that is all you need, then the Jaw Horse is overkill. For me, I am hopeful this stand will support anything I might launch and support a wheel too.

Buckets, spikes, rebar - those things all work great for supporting a single section of PVC pipe to launch stick rockets out of. If that is all you need, then the Jaw Horse is overkill. For me, I am hopeful this stand will support anything I might launch and support a wheel too.

Looks like the legs have holes for spikes to hold them down too. If they weren't so pricey, I would check one out for dolas.

-dag

I have a steel base for an 8ft picnic parasole earmarked fo launching dola`s ;) Its 4.5" x 4.5" x 16" folded up and 34" across x 16" high when opened up. The legs lock into position so its not easy to tip over. Not as versatile as Nates but it`ll do the job.

post-10522-0-46528700-1353179725_thumb.jpg

I have a steel base for an 8ft picnic parasole earmarked fo launching dola`s ;) Its 4.5" x 4.5" x 16" folded up and 34" across x 16" high when opened up. The legs lock into position so its not easy to tip over. Not as versatile as Nates but it`ll do the job.

post-10522-0-46528700-1353179725_thumb.jpg

Thats pretty cool Col. Looks military ;)

-dag