APC Forum

Long term storage of Magnesium shavings/powder

Excal

Ok, I picked up the Skylighter deal of the day last week(?) which was magnesium shavings and the question I need answered is how to store this stuff as I need to do some more reading and research before using it. I have read MSDS sheets/articles/ warnings and other research items that say obviously no water contact. Some of the "shake off" stuff in the bags is pretty fine particled.

I have read that some folks treat it with linseed oil to using potassium dichromate or a bichromate solution?.

Help me out here folks, please. Proper steps and procedures.

I did do a search, but not much was posted.

Thanks.

• Like 1

I don't use Mg but I would think just ensuring it stored dry, maybe with dessecant would work short term.

If you think it will be stored for a long period then treatment will probably be the best

This is really typical.

-you don't really know what the pesky Mg shavings are good for, but you bought them anyway. It was "a deal".

-you have no idea how to store it let alone how to process them into something usefull.

Ok, here are some thoughts:

-just make sure they store dry period. But you already found this.

-bichromate/linseed oil are used to treat the reactive Mg so it passivates it... sort of. This is done prior to using the Mg dust in some compo.

-no, you can't melt Mg shavings and make magnalium. Being so thin the shavings would take fire instantly at the melting temperature. Maybe if pressed into a pellet along with some flux it may work.

-you probably thought about milling the stuff. If so, read here: http://www.bobforward.com/magmill.htm

There are MANY similar reports involving Mg fires.

And lastly, there are many experienced pyros who'd refuse to work with Mg. It's really risky, spontaneous fires are very likely if precausions are not taken and so on. Also, there are really few compos that can't be done without it.

• Like 1

awhile back a supplier mistakenly shipped 10lb of 5 micron Mg to me, I wouldn't even open the bag!

Much too reactive for my taste.

When I informed them of the mistake they had the nerve to ask for it back.

It was shipped USPS, big no no

Shavings of magnesium are so thick that they will probably last good if you just keep them away from moist.

What powdered magnesium concerns, I store it in airtight glass jars, the type that you make homemade preservatives in.

The shaving should store fine just in a bag. If you are a safety freak or more paranoid then a half backed schizophrenic, just storing it under mineral oil should work for oh say the next few hundred years. It can make good fountains so if you have some nitrates which we all know you do just powder them up mix with the shavings and lightly pack into a tube. No nozzle needed. It works well with sodium nitrate and strontium nitrate. This method works well with Ti shavings.PS:you could ball mill it into mg powder. Just like with most if not all pyro chems keep away from direct flame.

I dont know about a few hundred years. I beleive mineral oil slowly absorbes and disolves oxygen from the air. I think your only supposed to store potassium metal a few months under mineral oil. ;) No need to worry about the Mg shaving I imagiene, they are realatively course compaired to fine Mg powder, they don't need to be treated the same.

The shaving should store fine just in a bag. If you are a safety freak or more paranoid then a half backed schizophrenic, just storing it under mineral oil should work for oh say the next few hundred years. It can make good fountains so if you have some nitrates which we all know you do just powder them up mix with the shavings and lightly pack into a tube. No nozzle needed. It works well with sodium nitrate and strontium nitrate. This method works well with Ti shavings.PS:you could ball mill it into mg powder. Just like with most if not all pyro chems keep away from direct flame.

That's what I was going for, Just making fountains. The whole learn to walk before you run scenario that is talked about on here and other boards. But I might have taken to big of a first step it seems. I appreciate ALL the replies and look forward to the others.

• 2 years later...

I was told you have to take your magnesium shavings put them into a bucket and fill it with mineral oil til its totally submergerd

keep it in a dry cool place outside the home possibly buy a fire proof cabinet install out in your back yard away from home. when you need it for fire starter just clean it off mix it in with cotton and parifin wax for fire starters. you can do the same with moose droppings just dry them out soak them with parifin magnesium is most excellent cause it burns at 5000 degrees and will insure your fire starts..... I researched this out because I too ran into a great deal and bought 5ibs of magnesium shavings.

Edited by Dino61

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

This is really typical.

-you don't really know what the pesky Mg shavings are good for, but you bought them anyway. It was "a deal".

-you have no idea how to store it let alone how to process them into something usefull.

Ok, here are some thoughts:

-just make sure they store dry period. But you already found this.

-bichromate/linseed oil are used to treat the reactive Mg so it passivates it... sort of. This is done prior to using the Mg dust in some compo.

-no, you can't melt Mg shavings and make magnalium. Being so thin the shavings would take fire instantly at the melting temperature. Maybe if pressed into a pellet along with some flux it may work.

-you probably thought about milling the stuff. If so, read here: http://www.bobforward.com/magmill.htm

There are MANY similar reports involving Mg fires.

And lastly, there are many experienced pyros who'd refuse to work with Mg. It's really risky, spontaneous fires are very likely if precausions are not taken and so on. Also, there are really few compos that can't be done without it.

the link doesnt work, whenever i press it, it goes Page 404

That's a special page pyralex. Only selected members can enter it. Ask Mumbles for the code.

As far as I know that page does not have a special code or way to access it. I've seen the page before, but perhaps Bob decided to take it down.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the contents of that page. Mumbles if the images need to be censored just remove the image tags and put the link.

DANGERS OF AN "EMPTY" MILL JAR

This accident occurred when dropping steel milling media into an aluminum jar that I used for milling magnesium chips to powder. Although the jar was "empty," the trace remains of the magnesium powder from the previous batch ignited from the impact of the fourth ball, resulting in a very brief but intensely bright and hot flareup that scorched my hand severely.

image001.jpg

The aluminum mill jar with four steel balls. There was only a light dusting of magnesium powder on the walls of the jar. As you can see, it is quite pitted now. The white residue is magnesium oxide from the fire.

image002.jpg

My hand. Because I was dropping the balls into the jar one by one, the lower edge of the hand and wrist were the most exposed to the flare-up. Fortunately, no tendons were damaged and this burn, though quite painful, should heal fairly well.

3weekshand.jpg

Three weeks later. Christmas Day, in fact. My most gratefully received present -- an almost completely healed hand. Rather thoughtfully, Santa brought me a pair of full-length Nomex gloves and a full face shield.

Edited by tradami
  • Like 1

Here's the contents of that page. Mumbles if the images need to be censored just remove the image tags and put the link.

Not bad at all I don't think, a good representation of what could happen. It's up to the end user to make sure the small kids are not around to see that.

Have used up almost all of the shavings making some 4th cool fountains and campfire gathering stuff. The rest I vac packed with a dessicant bag and have kept cold, dark and moisture free as of yet.