APC Forum

Made a Shell Spiking Tool

Dean411

Whipped this up at work the last 2 days and works quite well.

Although the idea for it wasn't mine I made it work and work it does

Deanpost-11493-0-58433700-1352498677_thumb.jpgpost-11493-0-55577600-1352498718_thumb.jpg

How does it work? Does the block pivot against the round piece and bind it tight then slide when released or something different? Nice work.

You guessed right the block acts as a pinch point for the string. The string with actually broken before it has slipped in my tests

It could easily be made with a piece of wood dowel and a piece of wood square stock a saw and a drill.

My next project is going to be time fuse cutter and crossmatch tool then I will have a fairly complete set of pyro tools.

Dean

Neat. The finish looks even but not polished except for maybe the round piece..Did you bead blast it or how did you finish it? Edited by Short5

Close I blasted it with walnut shell I like the finish it leaves on the aluminum and it holds up better than a

polished finish. A polished finish begins to look scratched way to easy where as this finish holds up better and comes clean

Just as easily.

I like making this kind of stuff it gives me a challenge

I also do gundrilling up to 45" deep

Anyone need something custom made?

Dean

Edited by Dean411

I will test that after work. I'm guessing your wanting to know if the string slips if this is correct is there a specific paste as I have most to try it with.

I actually have a few questions about its capabilities actually. I am thinking wheat paste and using two strands of string (1mm) with that rig. Will that work?

-dag

Is the string that fine hemp cord that Walmart sells if so I can try that I have a bunch

The hole is big enough to fit 3 pieces of that size cord. I willsee if I can get a little video of it up this evening

I believe it will work fine.

Dean

here is a short video it was getting dark fast so it wasn't as scientific as I was planning the paste is thick also but like i said another 10 minutes would have been to dark.

http://youtu.be/gVFOSavqymc

Dag,

the 2 pieces pasted worked no problems, but this is my tool not the one Wolter is selling I used a picture from the site to build mine .

Dean