APC Forum

Black Powder Ricing

usapyro

Actually, no it doesn't. Not if you have the moisture level and binder level adjusted correctly. They will break under their own weight.

Looks like your binding incorrectly and using too much water Algenco. :D

I did that a lot last year. I had to tweak my binder and moisture amounts downward so they wouldn't form strings. 3% SGRS is nearly impossible to work with. 2% works nicely.

You should give 2% SGRS and 25% moisture a try. They won't hold together forming long strings when pressed straight through a screen. They will break and drop.

3% SGRS... Forget it... Impossible strings.

This is just using my technique where I hold one side of a screen bowl away and pull directly toward myself without angling the grains as they are pressed through. Eg... Not moving the composition side to side or scraping. Just pressing straight through.

I will eventually work toward tuning the proper moisture level for 2.5% SGRS... That's one goal I have. I think ricing may possibly be able to done properly with upto 2.5%... One extra spray wrong at that binder level and the comp is screwed though... Can't hardly press it through and it starts to form strings that won't break as they are pressed.

Maybe ill make a tutorial video for you sometime. :)

Edited by usapyro

I would bet Iuse more powder in a week than you would in a year, I'm going to keep doing it wrong, hasn't been beaten yet.

I buy SGRS,Dextrin,Red Gum, and CMC in 50lb bags and well as nearly everything I use

not wasting any more time here

blahblahblah blah blah blah blah blahblahblahblahblah blah blah OMG What was that female problem child's name again I'm getting flashbacks or maybe mormanman???

Honestly, have any of you people ever owned or worked in any kind of business? Things that reduce effort free up time... And time is money. Reducing time and effort required to make a product of equivalent quality to what took tons of time before... That is a BIG advantage!

In both my full-time job and part-time job, shortcuts kill people. And that is not an exaggeration.

Edited by nater

I dont mind a range of grain sizes as long as the main bulk is the size i need most at the time, it all gets used for something. If i had to wait 20-24hr for the mill i`d prolly be more picky.

There really is no need to have perfect BP powder. Close is good enough for bp. When it comes to ricing there are way to many variables to get a true consistency. Hence the reason commercial powder Co.'s use the pressing method, then it is broken screened, the tumbled with graphite to make it shin, and kill any dust issues.

You really can't compare to smokeless ., It is like comparing a car to a bike. two diff animals. \ Grain and shape, density, and comp, are critical for smokeless.( @ Usapyro)You have ideas, but logic is not there , to make the added labor worth it. The difference between a odd shaped grain v.s a perfect square, will be minimal in performance , especially in a shell (for lift or break. ) . Screen out your sizes and it is enough. There really is not area in pyro where perfect powder is needed.

Edited by pyrojig