APC Forum

What I dont understand about shell halves and pasting...

usapyro

I don't think there is anyone who has enough free time to spend a couple hours pasting 12 layers onto a shell for a perfect break...

Hobbies are not supposed to be work, they are supposed to be FUN! ;)

I think your missing the point of the hobby, or least the point of the hobby of proper pyros. So what if we need to put several hours into pasting a shell, it makes it so much more satisfying to see it launch and hearing the satisfaction of others who appreciate what we've done. If our hobby of making shells was easy work, then everyone would be doing it and our hobby wouldn't be as well appreciated.

• Like 1

If you enjoy the hobby then its all fun, not work. If you want minimal effort why not just buy commercial shells to shoot ;)

I don't think there is anyone who has enough free time to spend a couple hours pasting 12 layers onto a shell for a perfect break...

I am not even sure how someone could handle that without going insane. I mean just look around. Pretty much everyone who makes many shells has gone to stingers because pasting is simply too impractical to be used.

Edit: I mean wasps... And variants of wasp type pasting machines. But, even with those pasting machines... That circular seam in the hemispheres is a weak spot that has an effect unless it's dealt with!

Hmm, I find hand pasting shells very relaxing, I've done around 40 3-6" (15-6's) in the past month.

I find it very rewarding to hold a 6" shell that's as smooth as a babies butt yes it work, a labor of love.

I have the pleasure of spending time with a fellow club member who is a PGI Grand Master, he will spend an entire year perfecting 1 or 2 shells to present at PGI

If you don't feel a level of love and devotion to all aspectss of this hobby you'll never acheive the level of perfection your looking for

I don't mind ramming rockets, making compositions, rolling tubes, pressing out stars one at a time, granulating, etc etc... Those are all great.

But pasting is something that drives me up the wall. But anyway, I have a pretty decent solution for now. Epoxy around the seam and around a 1mm layer spread 6mm around the outside of the seam taped over. I just have to use a little extra lift for the loose shells in the tube. Works fine though.

This thread kinda went off topic. The main subject was how to reduce the cicular weak point within the shell... Most shells people make for that matter!

I used gummed tape and it's going well.

Less drying time.

And sometimes my wife helps to paste.

But in this case it is always less successful :)

I normally work on 4 shells at a time, on a sunny day with a little breeze I canbuild/ paste (kraft/wheat paste) 4-6" balls and have them ready to shoot be evening Edited by Algenco

I think four casing is going to be the future of paper shell casings. Besides wasp type pasting machines.

Nobody want's their property littered with plastic so plastic will never be all that big.

Perhaps putting a good layer of watered white glue around the seem, followed by a strip of kraft, let it dry then do perpindicular strips to the seem?

I think four casing is going to be the future of paper shell casings. Besides wasp type pasting machines.

Nobody want's their property littered with plastic so plastic will never be all that big.

I really can't see this I mean what about those people that hate buying stuff or just can't get things from pyrostores due to laws? you might say that you can make these four casings and yes they can but the time it wood take would be more then just pasting a shell (I have not tried to make one but really how much diffrent is it if you past around a mold or around your shell?)

and the thing about it taking hours I think is quite abite off but I'm new to this to so I can't really say but that's not how long it takes me

but I"m new to this to so I could be wrong if so please correct me

bob

Edited by bob

A pourable biodegradable plastic would be great for casting, making the molds could be tricky. I think newspaper is the cheapest biodegradable material for shell cases 2 part or 4 part. Its makes pretty good 2 part canister shell cases too.

post-10522-0-95890200-1351614333_thumb.jpgpost-10522-0-09859800-1351614352_thumb.jpg

• Like 1