APC Forum

Space Jump

pyroshell

I just saw the highest jump, it was sponsored by red bull. Did any of you see this space jump? If so what do you think?

saw it, very cool! shame he didn't break the sound barrier, though

Yep, watched the (almost) live feed. Very cool technological feat.

That whole "sound barrier" thing was just hype, anyway - what they were trying to do was exceed the speed of sound at sea level, roughly 742 mph at standard pressure. Mach numbers mean nothing at the altitude he was at - there is too little air density.

Still - he hit 714mph , which you have to admit is ripping right along no matter *how* you measure it.

Kevin

Can you say Butt Puckered!

That first step was a long one.

Did not take long for him to drop out of site from the capsule.

Mikeee

I missed it live as well but they reshowed it on the local news here. Maybe not in its entirity but still cool. Gonna have to see if I can't find the whole thing online later.

I missed it live as well but they reshowed it on the local news here. Maybe not in its entirity but still cool. Gonna have to see if I can't find the whole thing online later.

www.redbullstratos.com

saw it, very cool! shame he didn't break the sound barrier, though

Turns out he did exceed the speed of sound at sea level - his terminal velocity is reported at 844mph.

Zip!

Kevin

He did panic a bit because if he would have held out a little longer he would have also gotten the longest free fall. If I got it right he had the highest jump but he opened the chute too soon. At least when I watched the news that's what I got from it.

Mark

It is good to here that he made Mock. I was so bummed out when I heard he had not made it.