APC Forum

Collet supports from firesmith.

firebird

I'm pretty sure you aren't supposed to hammer the rings down, so if you did, that might be the issue. Some light taps around the rings should break them free.

A short section of PVC pipe with the right inner diameter to slide over the leaves of the support, but rest on the retention rings will make quick work of that issue. The pipe will allow pressure to be applied straight across the rings, without cocking them.

• 1 month later...

The collet tube supports work very well (I've easily run 200+ rockets through my 1lb set) but they will not release if you try to whack 'em with a hammer . To remove the support simply bring the ram of your press down against the inside edge of the taper ring and the ring will pop down very easily. I do have a tutorial with pictures on my website http://www.firesmithtools.com It should answer any questions you may have. Of course, you may also email me at ben@firesmithtools.com with any questions.

I do have a gizmo (similar to the PVC tube described earlier in this thread) made from aluminum that sits over the taper rings for motor removal. I'll probably announce this gizmo in the next newsletter. It's not a necessary item, but takes the guesswork out of popping the taper rings down.

-Ben