APC Forum

Finally, maybe, i've found the coleman fuel... is it the mineral turpentine?

pyrosailor99

If Firebird would be nice enough to post in response, I think he would give us all a pretty good lesson on whistle fuel since he makes monster rockets with whistle.

That said, I'll throw my hat into the ring and tell you what I have done to successfully make whistle fuel from both kinds of Benzoate. First, keep it dry, put it into a 5 gallon bucket with a spin on lid or a snap on one with a seal. Second, dry it well before using it. I put a kilo on a sheet of kraft and put it into the dehydrator overnight, the weight can come down 100g if the stuff is really wet, prills seem to be the worst for me. Do a quick 30 seconds in the coffee grinder and throw it into the ball mill along with 1% of your catalyst of choice for 30 minutes.

Grab your perc, make sure it is dry as well, measure out your phlegmatizer of choice, I like mineral oil but I will use whatever, and mix it in your Coleman Camping Gas. Put your Benzoate mix into the bowl or bag, add the gas, add the perc and top off with enough extra gas to make a playdough dough texture.

Knead it in the bag or mix it in the bowl until completely mixed and then (here is we all will differ some) force small amounts through a 60 mesh screen until its all pressed through the screen, do this three times with the third time have the little worms spread out on kraft to dry.

It takes the same time as the other methods but ensures a completely homogeneous mixture.

-dag

• Like 1

Thanks dagabu! Really appreciated your post!

i will try your method...

in the meanwhile i'm here to say an HURRAY! Maybe i found the Coleman fuel under another name... i'm not sure 100% it's the same as the coleman... but there are too many things that match...

the name is "Universal Lighter Gasoline", it's liquid like whater, evaporate in no time (i put some drop on a paper and i've seen it disappear in 30 seconds) , it smells a bit like paint thinner, on the label there is wrote "Solvent naptha (petroleum) - low boiling point naphta" . i think i made Bingo!

Actually i also have vaseline, but on the label i can read "Grease of Vaseline" and on the back label "Pure paraffin cream" ... and i don't know if it is the same as 'pure vaseline' that many of you use (tell me if you know about).

So this time i think i will use the BABY OIL (also if maybe it contain some parfum).

The actual ingredients are not all that important, if it is close, you will get almost the same results. The phlegmatizer (baby oil or vaseline) are there as retardants and help to consolidate the fuel grain, they do nothing to make a faster or better sounding rocket though some swear they do.

The gas is used to slow the evaporation down so that atmospheric water is not drawn into the mix and cause it to be insensitive (not burn).

Good luck and God speed.

• Like 1