APC Forum

How chipotle is born...

Richtee

Mr. Smokin Lee set me up with a BOATLOAD of peppers…Japs and Serranos. The Japs are already Mrs. Gunslinger's relish…MMM!

The Serranos are about to become Chip powder :{) Chipotle is a smoked chili pepper BTW not any particular kind.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/1011121129.jpg

The dragonfly came free in the Serrano shipment :{)

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/1011121129a.jpg

And into the sausage machine for some smoke and dehy… yummmm!

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/1011121144.jpg

Getting closer. Combined 2 racks to 1 here, and the wettest ones alone on top. I'll expect perhaps 3 OZ powder out of 5 pounds of peppers. Next time you ask why pepper spices are so expensive.... this is why. The BTU's and time required to evap that water... HUGE.

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/chip4.jpg

And off to the oven at 200° for a finish. Christ talk about firecrackers… these things are packing some nice heat! And the smoke was grapevine… very mellow and sweet…

http://i471.photobucket.com/albums/rr72/esalink/Mobile%20Uploads/1011121906.jpg

Edited by Richtee

That looks great!

I have some pepper plants that I am trying to overwinter. They are still producing big, juicy jalapenos right now.

I love fresh red jalapenos. They have that distinctive jalapeno flavor, but with more fragrant fruit elements. Sweeter too.

That looks great!

I have some pepper plants that I am trying to overwinter. They are still producing big, juicy jalapenos right now.

I love fresh red jalapenos. They have that distinctive jalapeno flavor, but with more fragrant fruit elements. Sweeter too.

Yeah...in the fully mature red ones the sugars have fully developed... but I hear look out for the ones with the "cracks" in the skin... they are the hotter ones. And my experience with them seems to bear this out...

And remember to wear gloves when processing any middling amount of peppers. Actually, my hands were burning THRU the latex gloves before I finished this batch!

Edited by Richtee

Yeah...in the fully mature red ones the sugars have fully developed... but I hear look out for the ones with the "cracks" in the skin... they are the hotter ones. And my experience with them seems to bear this out...

And remember to wear gloves when processing any middling amount of peppers. Actually, my hands were burning THRU the latex gloves before I finished this batch!

Rich

"cracks" are mature Jalopenas, slicks are referred to as "Gringo" peppers

Buddy grows 8 acres of hot peppers

Have you ever tried Ubatuba's?

If you need any next season let me know

Rich

"cracks" are mature Jalopenas, slicks are referred to as "Gringo" peppers

Buddy grows 8 acres of hot peppers

Have you ever tried Ubatuba's?

If you need any next season let me know

Nebber herad tell... Hmmm will Google. But I love my peppers...so YES! :{)

Well, if they are like the Habs or Bhuts/ghosts...no. No use for those. Too f'in hot... I admit it....

Edited by Richtee

Nebber herad tell... Hmmm will Google. But I love my peppers...so YES! :{)

Well, if they are like the Habs or Bhuts/ghosts...no. No use for those. Too f'in hot... I admit it....

there supposedly not very hot.

My freind has been working with the University of Kentucky Ag Dept for 6 yrs perfecting growing teqniques, shipping, etc.

They are from China and Chefs love them for cooking and decoration

Last I heard they were paying $9lb plus overnite shipping for them.

He gows Jalopena, cerrano, Pablano and Anaheims now, gave up on habenero (no demand)

He also has a small pepper the Mexicans call "bird peppers", very hot

No market for habeneros? They have a flavor that can't be matched. I have a "firecracker sauce" that is gets some great flavor from them. Remove the seeds and ribs and they aren't too spicy, and the citrus flavor with the heat is a good base to build the sauce on.

Right now I'm have a pot of chili simmering on the stove. My sinuses are clear from blooming the dried peppers and spices with some freshly chopped serannos in olive oil.

Edited by nater

No market for habeneros? They have a flavor that can't be matched. I have a "firecracker sauce" that is gets some great flavor from them. Remove the seeds and ribs and they aren't too spicy, and the citrus flavor with the heat is a good base to build the sauce on.

Right now I'm have a pot of chili simmering on the stove. My sinuses are clear from blooming the dried peppers and spices with some freshly chopped serannos in olive oil.

he produce and sells lg quantities of peppers, if he can't sell at least a pallet load per week it isn't worth fooling with.

The demand for Habenero's has drop dramaticly in the past 2 years.

Since the supposed punishment for illegal Aliens if caught has became more severe the demand for all hot peppers has taken a plunge

3 yrs ago he was shipping 4-5 semi loads per week and I was hauling 5-6 days per week in a 20' reefer, now it's down to 2 semi's per week

he produce and sells lg quantities of peppers, if he can't sell at least a pallet load per week it isn't worth fooling with.

The demand for Habenero's has drop dramaticly in the past 2 years.

Since the supposed punishment for illegal Aliens if caught has became more severe the demand for all hot peppers has taken a plunge

3 yrs ago he was shipping 4-5 semi loads per week and I was hauling 5-6 days per week in a 20' reefer, now it's down to 2 semi's per week

Jeezsus that's LOT of peppers...

I guess if I can get some seeds I'd like to give the Uba's a run.

And I have had the pequins..I believe..are th "bird peppers". Oh Yeah. Hot. So named because in order to be fertile, the seeds need to pass thru a bird's gut... ;{) FYI...birds are immune to capsasin... as far as taste. What a shame.

Edited by Richtee