APC Forum

OMG! Guess what I found growing on my place...

usapyro

I found it down by the stream... There is only one of them.

It has gigantic heart shaped leaves. It grows in a form kinda like a maple. It has small soft fuzzy things right now a bit larger than peanuts on the tips next to the young leaves... Wonder what those are? It is a foot around. My dad said it has purplish flowers in spring!!!

Aieee...

Must make... Cuttings... And plant a zillion of these!!! Need to get rooting hormone... Going to be months, but must be prepared!!! Anyone have any experience transplanting these from cuttings?

Edited by usapyro

Well what is it? We don't tend to have them in the UK. Certainly not with leaves that big anyway.

Paulownia tomentosa, (aka, Empress or Foxglove tree) quite popular for tropical themed gardens the uk. Edited by Col

wait for it to seed and your supply could be endless, apparently it grows very fast and tall in the first year.

Your bp is about to get better again by the looks of it.

I really thought it was knotweed on first glance they look similar.

Dan.

for most cuttings, you must establish healthy roots and give the plant a chance by not letting it get too hot, too dry, too wet, too cold, maybe take some soil where it is growing it must like it, the conditions it needs should be available on the net since you have a name for it.

Selling the seeds could buy chems just an idea.

Dan.

Ah! Now I understand. Is it really any better than some of the other charcoals? I have never tried it. I know much of Shimizu's formulae call for it, but I assume that is because it's easily available in Japan.

that's the real deal!

I think the "fuzzies" are male blooms, seed pods are similar in size/shape to an English Walnut

how tall is it?

When you cut it don't worry, it will sprout from the stump, usually 3 sprouts that grow very fast

I have lots of seeds :)

Ah! Now I understand. Is it really any better than some of the other charcoals? I have never tried it. I know much of Shimizu's formulae call for it, but I assume that is because it's easily available in Japan.

One of the top 3 for sure

Done a bit of research and it seems that root cuttings can be done 95% successful in the greenhouse. Root cuttings of half an inch to two inches in diameter are best. Well draining potting soil is a good starting medium.

It's about 25' tall.

Heres my notes I collected from around the web from research programs and a good guide...

"95% Cutting success can be achived in the greenhouse with half inch to two inch thick root cuttings of three to six inches

in length.

Paulownia (Paulownia tomentosa), native to China, is a deciduous tree used as a landscape ornamental.

Lavender flowers burst from fuzzy, brown buds in spring before the foliage appears. Cuttings taken

from the tree's roots propagate readily, with proper soil moisture and temperature. Whether you

purchase paulownia root cuttings or take your own, make sure they are 4- to 5-inch sections of roots

that are 1 inch in diameter or thicker. Store the root cuttings, wrapped in moist peat moss, in the

produce section of your refrigerator, if they are not immediately planted.

Fill the propagating pot with equal parts of moistened peat moss and sand, to within 3 inches of the rim.

Lay the root cutting horizontally on the soil, and cover it with 1 inch of the planting medium.

Place the pot in an area that receives bright, indirect sunlight. This can be outdoors, as long as the soil in the pot remains at least 55 degrees Fahrenheit.

Water the root cutting only if it is being grown indoors. Outdoors, spring rain is sufficient. Indoors, keep the soil barely moist. The roots are susceptible to rot, so do not overwater."

Edited by usapyro

i see a uk market in a few years, its alraedy used here albeit by few, glad you found what you needed to know.

Cant wait to see how this turns out, oh and i'll pay postage on seeds.

Dan.

Olivia's Cloning Gel is one of the better rooting hormones. I have a background in horticulture and have taken cuttings of a lot of plants.

The gels work better than powder. There are many supliers for products used in taking cuttings, or cloning as it is often called. The legality of marijuana on a state level has led to many people growing. One part of the proscess is taking clones.

I suspect it will take to cutting very easy. When I cut live branches they will grow leaves and survive for weeks just laying on my drying rack.

While your efforts are great for establishing news plants, you may want to look around for more trees. It is not an uncommon tree and often there are large stands growing along roads. If you cut a living one down it will quickly send up fast growing light wood sucker shoots. They sucker profusly when cut.

I am lucky in that I have a giant dead tree where I keep my horses.

http://homeharvest.com/cutstrtrootagents.htm

Probably, it is a wonderful weed.

yep, I love it :)

Leaves on the sprouts are larger

http://i468.photobucket.com/albums/rr47/Algenco/SANY0304.jpg

Edited by Algenco

i see a uk market in a few years, its alraedy used here albeit by few, glad you found what you needed to know.

Cant wait to see how this turns out, oh and i'll pay postage on seeds.

Dan.

I'm pretty sure you can find some plants, seeds, or root cuttings in the EU... It's not considered a weed in any of the EU countries as far as I know. Search around and I'm sure you'll find a source to start your own trees.

• 2 weeks later...

I was happy when I found out that Alder is decent for charcoal and that it was everywhere in my old town.

Alder is very good, some are fantastic!