APC Forum

Milling BP analogs

brimstoned

Is it safe to mill the barium/strontium nitrate analog compositions of BP?

I thought I might get some input before I considered actually attempting the process.

I have been lead to beleive pyrotechnic Barium oxidizers are generaly more sensitive then their Potassium equivalent. But, I don't know how true this is.

Barium chlorate is very sensitive. Barium nitrate isn't more sensitive than potassium nitrate. Though of course you usually have chlorates or perchlorates together with nitrates, and they are sensitive to mill.

No ClO3 or ClO4, just a 75/15/10 BP (might have to modify the 75, of course).

• 2 weeks later...
Are you trying to go for a certain color? barium nitrate by itself isn't going to give you green, it needs higher temp and a chlorine donor for it to turn green. All you will get is a more expensive bp (since barium nitrate is more expensive than potassium nitrate) that is poisonous and burns the same as regular bp.

I have actually seen old compositions with barium and strontium nitrates and no chlorine donor, but they most likely gave a very pale green/red colour. There is no reason to make such a composition, if you can get hold of chlorates and/or perchlorates.

• 2 weeks later...
I have an excess of strontium nitrate, and thought to make some lift with a red colour. Strontium is about twice the mass of potassium, but the nitrate is double the oxygen of KNO3...the numbers should remain unchanged. The composition might also be useful in small rockets. Edited by brimstoned