APC Forum

AP Based Strobe Question

Dean411

Looking on the pyroguide website they list all the strobes but only detail the nitrate based.

What is the process of binding an AP Based strobe? NC Lacquer?

Any help would be great.

Dean.

Dean,

There are a few that do or have used NCL for binding strobe but the latest strobe mixture you will see at PGI and other large events are Vaseline bound. Here is an excerpt of the information that Steve LaDuke provided for me at his place last year.

Ammonium Perchlorate 60

Magnalium -325 mesh 13

Magnalium -100-200 mesh 10

Barium Sulfate 15

Potassium Dichromate 5

Vaseline 2 (dissolved in lacquer thinner - pour the melted Vaseline into the thinner, never add the thinner to the melted Vaseline)

Add the thinner mix to the dry chems in a freezer bag and knead until completely mixed. Run through a 20 mesh screen three times (window) to make a homogeneous mixture and take a small pinch of the wet mix, make a small pyramid out of it and let it dry. This will be your test for strobe rate.

The third screening of your comp should be done over butchers paper or waxed paper and let dry in a warm breezy place. In a few hours, the little pyramid should be dry and you should be able to get a great idea of the strobe rate by lighting it in a safe place FAR AWAY from the drying comp.

As the strobe comp get close to being dry, run it through the 20 mesh screen one more time carefully. This gives you a nice and small granulation that is not dusty. Remember, when using Barium Sulfate and Potassium Dichromate, you need to wear a respirator and cover your exposed skin.

-dag

You know Dag, there exists another whole area of strobes outside of rockets. I don't think vaseline is going to hold up particularly well to a shell burst.

Shimizu details the binding of AP based strobes with NC lacquer. He specifically states to kneed 25 parts of 10% NC lacquer into 100 parts of composition, followed by cutting into cubes.

Thanks to both you Mumbles and Dag yes I was looking for the details for stars although I may try rockets before long.

I mainly focus on shells 3" and up but I have been moving to designing some cake effects as of late as I want to have a piece of the show to fill the lower skyline. Mumbles do you know of an average storage for these? I know they must store well because they ship from overseas and spend time sitting before consumers and companies purchase them for there shows.

And the Magnesium has been treated with Dicromate.

Edited by Dean411

On another note Dag I thought Barium Sulfate was the only non poisonous Barium product?.

You know Dag, there exists another whole area of strobes outside of rockets. I don't think vaseline is going to hold up particularly well to a shell burst.

Shimizu details the binding of AP based strobes with NC lacquer. He specifically states to kneed 25 parts of 10% NC lacquer into 100 parts of composition, followed by cutting into cubes.

LOL! You are so right Mum, like Al said, One Track Mind... Sorry 2huh.gif

On another note Dag I thought Barium Sulfate was the only non poisonous Barium product?.

Barium Sulfate is insoluble in water so it passes right through your GI tract with no harm. There is still debate on the harm the dust can create so wear a mask please.

-dag