APC Forum

writing a book on pyrotechnics

spitfire

Years ago i already said i will write and publish a book on pyrotechnics once. I started writing a year ago. It will take years to get anywhere but i want to ask all you to tell me what you would like to read. What are you missing in random info today?

Miniature pyrotechnics, as used in models for films is rarely covered

Some very good ideas guys, thanks. I'll keep it in mind!

Really like above... Need more info on crossettes and the magic X tool biggrin2.gif Granted you can use a square, but the result is not the same, we made them for years and it is the X that makes it a true crossette

Really like above... Need more info on crossettes and the magic X tool biggrin2.gif Granted you can use a square, but the result is not the same, we made them for years and it is the X that makes it a true crossette

Making crossettes is mostly black magic RM. I made 10k of them last year over one long weekend and I had several crack, pull the center out and oblate the pin hole, GRRRRR! Then my son makes 24 of them, his very first and all 24 are PERFECT with no flaws.

-dag

I started to under take this task about 5 years ago as well. I got about 180 pages written in a matter of about a month (I was very bored at the time). It's very....thorough (or wordy to some). Probably the biggest thing you learn when trying to do something like this is what you DON'T know. As I read and re-read through what I was writing, I found myself asking why a lot. Many things which I took for granted, I honestly didn't understand the underlying principles of.

One thing I'm quite fond of is actual data and numbers. Anyone can say "oh, chlorates and sulfur are incompatible. It will ignite, explode and punch your grandmother if you look at it wrong". I've always liked seeing to what degree certain combinations are sensitized, and how they compare to "safe" things. One of my many grand plans in life is to build an impact, friction, and electrical discharge tester and actually publish these sorts of things.

I started to under take this task about 5 years ago as well. I got about 180 pages written in a matter of about a month (I was very bored at the time). It's very....thorough (or wordy to some). Probably the biggest thing you learn when trying to do something like this is what you DON'T know. As I read and re-read through what I was writing, I found myself asking why a lot. Many things which I took for granted, I honestly didn't understand the underlying principles of...

That's a very good point Mum, and the very same question posed as to why the roast was always cut off on both ends by grandma before cooking... I would very much like to know the "why" to a lot of my questions as well.

-dag

Mumbles, so true what you said. The more i write, the more i discover things i don't know, or how to explain it in readable sentences. while teaching someone in practice would only take a few minutes. The principles of many pyrotechnic phenomenon are not understood by most. We only know how to apply them. My goal is to give the world a book that gives them practical information i have searched for almost two decades. It might be worthless, or useful. In either way, i want to write down and share the things i did, discovered, and learned the hard way, just to fulfill the desire of being able of making fireworks all by myself. We will never be able to ''know everything'' on pyrotechnics in our lifetime, but at least i can try to show some which path to follow as a start. We all started out of rubbish, common household items and a complete lack of knowledge. I want to write a first step up for those who seek and wonder. Just a glimpse behind the curtains of a wonderful world called pyrotechnics.