APC Forum

Ball Mill Coming

RealmMaster

Hello everyone,

My brother is a avid hand reloader and I spoke to him on the phone today to see if he had a extra tumbler he'd let me get and he said he had a like new Lortone Professional Rotary Tumbler QT6 that he would send down to me next week for me to have.. biggrin2.gif

I looked the thing up on the net and it appears that it will be good to use as a ball mill to get me started.

I found the info about it at the Lortone website.

http://www.lortone.c...e_tumblers.html

Says its a Single 6 lb. capacity barrel Mid-size capacity tumbler, Perfect for larger items and moderate production use. Has a heavy-duty motor and welded steel frame, Also has a rubber barrel.

Any opinions if this will be okay for ball milling???

http://rocktumbler.com/lortone/model-qt-6-tumbler.jpg

hi,

I have a 3A lortone since june that i use as ball mill,it's a very good product,very quiet,and he can run 24/24 (i have already tested)

so the lortone ball mill are very good! ( And my belt is unchanged)

I bought it on ebay,as unused product,and it was cheaper than on the website of Lortone

You can increase the rpm by putting a small tube on the metal bar

Edited by yvariro
  • Like 1

hi,

I have a 3A lortone since june that i use as ball mill,it's a very good product,very quiet,and he can run 24/24 (i have already tested)

so the lortone ball mill are very good! ( And my belt is unchanged)

I bought it on ebay,as unused product,and it was cheaper than on the website of Lortone

You can increase the rpm by putting a small tube on the metal bar

Thank you for the information on how to increase the RPMs

J

Very nice!

You might want to obtain a second drum,

I find having one for just BP saves a lot of washing...

I used the exact same tumbler for many years before making my own higher-capacity ball mill based on Sponenburgh's design. If you run it at the stock speed (no roller modifications), it will take ~12hrs to make a good BP with quality airfloat charcoal.

A word of warning: I have had the lid pop off the jar a few times when using lead media. Many others have reported the same behavior. Either the jar flexes slightly because of the dense load, or the hammering action of the lead media against the lid closure causes it to open. I *highly* recommend running a strip of masking tape around the joint where the metal cap pushes onto the jar body to mitigate this problem.

Frank,

Thank you so much for all the insight of this tumbler I appreciate it all... ( an who says they can't teach an old dog new tricks^!!) Oh that was the flash power posts