APC Forum

Finding on a chinese comercial shell

Pirotecnia

Hello!

Today i've found this piece of a broken chinese fireworks shell.

I found an unusual thing (i think). A hole at the top, like the hole that japanese make to fill their double petal shells. I never seen that before on a chinese shell.

post-11355-0-30859200-1348955675_thumb.jpg post-11355-0-94100000-1348955693_thumb.jpg

Give your opinion!

Thanks!

It might be a Horsetail shell. It is my understanding that these are made with a weak point so that they burst with a bouquet effect rather than a harder looking break.

It's definitely not a horsetail shell. These are predominantly cannister type of shells, not round ones. With horsetail shells the break is placed underneath the stars, and the stars are expelled through the top of the cannister. The lid is the weakest part with these type of shells. Horsetails somewhat resemble a mine type of construction.

I use the loading hole technique for building shell of shells, it helps a lot with fitting as much inserts as possible into a round ballshell .

It is more likely that this is a pattern shell. I have seen shell autopsies on passfire where they use the loading hole technique for these type of shells. So it's probable some kind of pattern shell, or a shell of shells.

Did you actually see the shell fired to which these pieces belong to???

Edited by fredhappy

It's definitely not a horsetail shell. These are predominantly cannister type of shells, not round ones. With horsetail shells the break is placed underneath the stars, and the stars are expelled through the top of the cannister. The lid is the weakest part with these type of shells. Horsetails somewhat resemble a mine type of construction.

I use the loading hole technique for building shell of shells, it helps a lot with fitting as much inserts as possible into a round ballshell .

It is more likely that this is a pattern shell. I have seen shell autopsies on passfire where they use the loading hole technique for these type of shells. So it's probable some kind of pattern shell, or a shell of shells.

Well, it has been fired during a show, so, i don't know. But i think what you wrote is the most probable reality.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Your theory is totally wrong fred. I think it's a horsetail actually, they are mostly round shells completely filled with stars. Can you check the amount of layers pirotecnia? And can you show us the inside of the hemi? Sometimes you'll find prints of the stars.

Closing a horsetail at the top helps to fill stars as much as possible.

Your theory is totally wrong fred. I think it's a horsetail actually, they are mostly round shells completely filled with stars. Can you check the amount of layers pirotecnia? And can you show us the inside of the hemi? Sometimes you'll find prints of the stars.

Closing a horsetail at the top helps to fill stars as much as possible.

Hi,

Yes, it has about 3 layers and there are prints of the stars in the casing.

Although, the shell not broked at the top hole.

Thanks!

Can you show us a picture of the inside? How big were the stars? Horsetails mostly break at the equator of the shell.

Here is a photo of the star prints in the strowboard. I don't know the size of the stars..

post-11355-0-10328800-1350942964_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

If you measure the distance between two spots, you'll know the diameter of the stars :). Actually 2*radius of two stars. However, assuming that the stars are equal in size, you'll get the diameter of an average star used in this shell.

How big was the shell, 5'', 6''?

Well, the stars has 2 cm of diameter and the shell, 6 inches.

Thanks!

Ahh and fredhappy, the shape of the horsetail is made because the shell is still moving upwards when it breaks. Use about 25% more liftpowder than you normally would ;)

I am not ashamed to admit I was wrong on this one, I've learned something new.. ;)

I will try and build one asap, I ve accumulated lots of stars already, it seems like a fun thing to try and build.

best

This is what we call a horse tail in the USA:

http://louisianafireworks.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/horsetail.jpg

-dag