APC Forum

Security sniffers

Floydism

As a Long distance driver here in europe I frequently use the channel tunnel and visit many airport freight terminals, at these the customs/security staff use a kind of "sniffer wand" as well as the more old school versions with 4 legs. I'm a little concerned about awkward questions being asked about any 'interesting' traces they may pick up. Are there any chemicals/compositions i should steer clear of? I'm pretty sure they wont get too worried about Kno3 as it's common enough and no self respecting bomber would bother with BP. should i be concerned?

I cannot afford to give my job up, but i don't think i live without the odd energetic material in my life either, any thoughts?

-leon

What the four legged ones sniff for only they can tell you but its usually narcotics or High explosives. Currently for most truckers the problem is with illegal stowaways in the cargo area. These are detected by CO2 concentrations (from breath) under the cover,.

Steer clear of HE and usually it will be fine.

I thought sniffers usually look for nitrate based substance, whether or not they can tell the difference between potassium nitrate and nitroglycerin remains to be seen. Ammonium nitrate is used in pyrotechnics (to a very limited extent, mostly for composite rockets or making tannerite) and they are also used by terrorists for blowing stuff up too.

I've read in wikipedia (for what its worth) that TATP is commonly used by terrorists because explosive sniffer can't pick up non-nitrate substance.

Maybe you can become a Hazmat driver shipping high explosives around for construction/demolition/etc. and then they can't tell the difference.

Edited by taiwanluthiers

I'm always getting x-rayed and probed (ooh er) for illegal bods in my wagon, that's fairly standard stuff (quick too). it's the bothersome process of 'getting shedded' that i'm trying to avoid. it's a pain in the bum to have a load of customs chappies take my van apart only to find that i'm carrying bugger all of interest to them. can add a good hour or two to my journey if they've got nothing better to do. was quite funny a couple of weeks ago watching a tiny french lady trying to control a HUGE german shepherd sniffer that was much more interested in my lunch than any Immigrants or bombs. i've never heard swearing in so many languages at once!

I tend to avoid HE anyway (it's healthier that way) so i'll probably be ok.

BTW I often transport 1.4 type goods anyway, i had a big box full of smoke/flares in my van this morning!

...I've read in wikipedia (for what its worth) that TATP is commonly used by terrorists because explosive sniffer can't pick up non-nitrate substance...

That may once have been the case but now it is detectable down to nano gramme quantities.

All of the technologies I'm aware of test only for organic nitro and nitrate groups, and a few other specialized additives. To be detected by the dogs or the electronic noses, they need to have a vapor pressure at ambient conditions, something most inorganic nitrates do not have to a large enough degree. Think about it, if they actually tested for potassium nitrate, every time someone who had had cured meat in the last few days would set it off. I walked right though security after working at a fireworks plant. I had on clean clothes, but I did sit in my car which was no doubt loaded with pyrotechnic residues, and wear the same shoes. Not even a second glance.

My wife got swabbed leaving Las Vegas and she for sure had gobs of Nitrate on her shoes since they were the same ones we do clean up in after the shows. Not even a strip search. ;-)

-dag

I don't think i need too worry too much then, i'll just make sure the ball-mill's not running when i got through any checkpoints! I might have to stop mixing flash when driving just in case i spill some too!

Thanks for the advice guys.

-Leon

They aren't looking for inorganic nitrates, they're looking for the taggants that must by international agreement be mixed in with plastic explosives. If it was that easy to detect other substances, you wouldn't have to take your shoes off and discard your water bottles and baby milk - oh wait a minute, yes you would. The show must go on at the security theater.

However home made or lab made explosives may not have the taggant. Unless nitric acid must by international agreement have the tag... however you generally don't want to get nitric acid on you...

The taggants are generally more volatile intermediates in the synthesis of common explosives. They'll be in there naturally really no matter how hard you try. They're added more to improve the reliability of detection by making the explosives more "smelly" based on the actual molecules that are detected. There are maybe half a dozen reliable tags that are used, though DMDNB is the common one used now, especially in plastic explosives. Someone may have to correct me on this, but I seem to recall plastic explosives being more difficult to detect in general. Perhaps it's due to the plasticizers overpowering the explosive vapors.

Explosives synthesized for malicious purposes will not have the tags, but they're still quite detectable. Generally speaking, anyone willing to try such a thing probably doesn't have the mental capacity or foresight to take things like this into consideration.

Long story short, inorganic nitrates or BP are very unlikely to flag you at an airport. The one possibility we work with that could tag you is nitrocellulose, but it is used in so many commercial products I can't imagine they can be that vigilant about it. A quick look through your bag, or a hopefully well lubed glove, and you'll be on your way assuming you're in actuality not up to anything.

You carry a note from work and a copy of the companies explosive license with you. This will allow you onto public transit even though you test positive for explosive residues. They'll likely go through your personal items thoroughly though.

There are some stories concerning people being pulled apart for alarms, false or not.

The thing is, if they detect NG for instance and you don't have your blaster licence that flight is certainly lost for you, till they check your past. If that happens in a different country than yours, be prepared for some rough night(s).

• 7 months later...

If someone determined enough wanted to get a bomb onboard a plane they could. It's just a question of money, engineering ability and willingness to die.

Someone managed to smuggle sidearms from the USA to the UK for a while before getting caught.

• 5 months later...

I was in china some time ago and airport security at both ends couldn't give less of a crap about hotel matchbooks I had in my carry on or the 3 swords and crossbow i had in check (the crossbow and one of the swords is illegal where I am) they were more interested in my stuffed animals (my second love other than pyro), this is when 3 different guards decided i warranted extra attention and pulled me aside for a pat down

A mate was telling me a little while ago that he "forgot" to declare a dozen cartons of cigarettes when he was coming back from overseas. Customs noticed that he was carrying what looked like a new bag so they pulled everything out of it (cigarettes included) and quizzed him for 20 minutes on where he got it, how much it cost, etc. In the end they were happy that there was no need to pay duty on the bag so they packed all his stuff up (again cigarettes included) and sent him on his way.

I've been through the airport sniffer machine a few hours after shooting (same clothes, shoes, etc.), I would be rather surprised if I didn't have at least a little bit of NC or NG residue on me but they didn't pick up anything.