APC Forum

rocket toling plan...

yvariro

hi all!!

i was making some plan on rocket tools sketchers,

but we can't make some plan tooling for exemple

if the ID is 19,7,the longer of the tube must be 197 (if it is in the section coreburner) and its proportional

so i went in the custom mode and i put 19,05mm (for fit in the tube of oliver-brown)

but with this mode the calcul is not proportional, so after some calcul,i find the lenght of the spindle of 142.5 mm

Are they no mistakes ?

her is the Plan:

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/352547Inserttitle.jpg

I have another question,what is the best metal for 3/4" rocket tooling ?

I think you may have misunderstood the proportions of a standard black powder rocket. 10:1 is the TUBE length, not the CORE length. A 19mm ID rocket should have a tube 19cm long, this makes room for ample delay above the spindle.

There is no mistake, the math is correct.

The best metal is Naval Bronze, the second is brass and the third, 303 Stainless Steel, fourth is 2011 T3 Aluminum, fifth is 7075 T6 Aluminum, followed by 6061 T6 Aluminum, IMHO. All said, 2011 T3 Aluminum is the easiest turning material I have ever worked with and is about twice the price of 6061 T6 and corrodes easily. 7075 T6 Aluminum is easy to turn and has better chips then 6061 T6.

6060 T6 Aluminum is by far the easiest of all Aluminum rods to find world wide and runs about $.16 an inch US.

-dag

Thanks you for the reply !

yes but when i put 19,7mm in the section " tube ID"

it calcul the lenght of the tube of 197mm,but all the tube we can find on pyro supplier are 190mm... so that why I changed this in the custom mode

but do you think it can be a good rocket tools ?

and the metal will maybe stainless 303 :)

Yes, 190mm is just fine, that is 7.5" US, the suggested length for 1 pound BP core burners. I use all sorts of different length tubes and make my spindles to work with them. 303 cuts better is kept cool, have a spray bottle handy.

-dag

I see what you're saying now. The presets are all based upon tube ID. If you go to custom you can adjust all the parameters, and they do not automatically resize. You may notice that the boxes go from greyed out to white when you change between BP core burner and custom.

Dag,

I am curious why 2011 and 7075 come before 6061 on your list, as the latter seems to be the standard for tool manufacturers. Is it simply a cost issue, or are there some other variables coming in to play? Also, are you ranking based on merit as a tooling set or ease of manufacture? I agree with the first two, naval bronze is great stuff, as is brass.

I see what you're saying now. The presets are all based upon tube ID. If you go to custom you can adjust all the parameters, and they do not automatically resize. You may notice that the boxes go from greyed out to white when you change between BP core burner and custom.

Yes and i think that will be god to change this,

and do you think my plan is good ?

Dag,

I am curious why 2011 and 7075 come before 6061 on your list, as the latter seems to be the standard for tool manufacturers. Is it simply a cost issue, or are there some other variables coming in to play? Also, are you ranking based on merit as a tooling set or ease of manufacture? I agree with the first two, naval bronze is great stuff, as is brass.

Cali,

My suggestions were based solely on ease of the cut and the ability to retain a shine as Aluminum is a dry metal and holds comp very well. 2011 is dreamy to turn, small chips and harder then 6061 and 7075 is much better for turning as well but both are much more expensive then 6061 which is really the standard Aluminum for tooling since it is capable of hardening and takes anodizing vary well. 2011 will not take anodizing and 7075 has to be prepped well and usually is spotty.

I just use Tap Magic when turning Aluminum and make deep cuts and pull the string right off the table. Get yourself a piece of 2011 and see what I mean but beware, 2011 corrodes easily.

-dag

• Like 1

if you will order tubes from oliver brown maybe speak to mia, here and pyrotubes.co.uk he should be able to sort you some tools, a decent machinist works for them, if you want to go your own way, theres many ways, its most likely that you will have to tune the powder anyway to your needs,

my 3/4inch spindle is 75mm, the one pound tubes get me a rocket and a very thick casing for we know what.

Dan.

just remembered the base of the spindle in sketcher is too small for my liking, in my plans i have extended it to allow fitting into a base iirc the cored 3/4 inch tool has a base of 38mm plenty of room for a 1 inch thick base and a grub screw to hold it, you could even thread the bottom of the spindle and make up a release tool.

The possibilities really are endless.

Dan.

I made the spindle last night from the drawing shown but as like Dan said the base is a little short so I upped that to 22mm, the spindle is made from marine grade brass we don’t get asked for that too often but I had some stock and turns suburb, cost wise 6061 is a great all-rounder! Most of our tooling is made with that, hope you are well Dan get a PC sorted soon!! Regards Mia http://www.pyrobin.com/files/new%20spindle%20.jpeg

nice work on the spindle mia, last night! Never mind the pc i need a lathe it can take me a week to make tools with the cordless drill step by step especially the tapered spindle with four rams id rather forget the failed attempts.

Very well thanks, time and money is what i dont have for now, work, baby, dog, new house, missus ( she doesnt know shes last ) all stand in the way most of the time, if its free ( or very cheap ) ill treat myself one day, pyro and pc need eachother.

Dan.

Dag,

That makes sense. I may have to get some different aluminum stock and see how it turns! thanks. Nice spindle Mia!

Dag,

That makes sense. I may have to get some different aluminum stock and see how it turns! thanks. Nice spindle Mia!

Are you going to try T6 I have that and it great to turn I am just turning up a set of 1/2inch in it if you’re interested I will post a picture

yes, i'll try the 7075 t6, as well as the 2011 t3, just to play around :) Ease of turning isn't as much of a factor, since the CNC does it for me on most projects, but for custom tools on the lathe different stock would be good to try!

Should be interesting to see the results! I just run some T6 and ok it looks good but I notated some flex towards the end of the tapper on the spindle (even with a revolving dead centre) not sure how it will hold up with a consumer over a basic CZ brass but it’s made so let’s give it a go wink2.gif

Mia, do mean a live center? Yes, there is a lot more flex with 6061 but it can be heat treated and significantly stiffened.

Brass and bronze are my favorite but are much more expensive.

-dag

Hi mia, did you make the spindle with the plan ?

And why you put up 22mm on the base ? it will afect the lenght of the tube ?

yvariro

the extra height is to help mounting it in a sturdy base, the rescess of the nozzle will be whatever you want depending how far you tap it in or how thick the base is if you go all the way, one of my 10mm tools has a collar height of 45mm as it is mounted in butchers block, its not such a bad idea to make it longer than mia's and tap a thread in the under side which you can then use a bolt and some washers to remove the motor without breaking it.

That’s right I counter bore the base to except the spindle and secure with an 8mm countersunk machine screw through the base and in to the spindle hope this helps.

Ok,so this it for making rocket motor with a press ?

you think you could make a standard rocket tooling that I will order to you ?

Edited by yvariro

No need for a press but you could use one if you want it's up to the you.

the tooling will work with both methods.

Edited by Mia