APC Forum

how his assembled czech military parachute flares

val77

by browsing youtube I found this video that shows us how worn are assembled czech military parachute flare

it should be noted that these rockets are similar to parachute distress flare

or this model has a flare that illuminates a 145000 candellas intended to be implemented by a single man and not a using a mortar (m120A1 military flares use a mortar to launch)

I have not had opportunity to test but I find a website that sells all major components and one day I will try to reproduce this rocket

the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeDlIErWgy8

Edited by val77

These flares where quite popular in the european football ultra szene, but I was told they got rare. At least the "white" NaNO3 based ones.

Old Warsaw Pact stocks are dwindling.

Here you can see them in action (not my video):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=YuD25izmDYs

Edited by mabuse00

Interesting video. I have disassembled rocket flares but never that completely.

You found a site that sells the components? Please share the link. I would love to buy some of those nozzles. They appear to be Bakelite material.

It would appear that the fuel for the engine is smokeless powder based on it's appearance when it burned. Anyone have thoughts on that? I have had NC made from smokeless powder dry up in container and when I lit it, it burned very much like the fuel in the video. I wonder if one could dissolve smokeless powder in acetone then cast it into a Bates grain like they used in that engine. Thoughts?

I have a handful of those flares as well as the marine rocket flares and some left over empty fired housings. It would be fun to reload them.

yes is bright 145000 candellas

There is also a version for flare pistol caliber 26,5 mm white

but this one is better for illumination

website www.pyrofire.eu

you must go and seek illuminating rocket flares ROS 40 http://pyrofire.eu/detail.php?product=217

after you search pyrotechnic supplies parachute http://pyrofire.eu/detail.php?product=14

and finally you look ROS 40 rocket motor http://pyrofire.eu/detail.php?product=258

after just assemble it in a cardboard tube or aluminum and do not forget to add load and eject discs of cardboard like this in the video ;)

enjoy!

Edited by val77

yes

but I am curious to know what these compounds are super bright yellow illuminating flares

Wow, very cool site for ready made components. I can't imagine it would be feasible to receive an order in the U.S..

It's a very liberal country - liberal in the original meaning of the word. They are the last country in Europe with a right to carry a gun in self-defense too, as far as I know :)

If their language weren't that hard to learn, I'd considering moving there.

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

I wonder if one could dissolve smokeless powder in acetone then cast it into a Bates grain like they used in that engine. Thoughts?

I have also speak for thise before but they told me that NC shrinks over the time... also when it drys from acetone it is very possible that it will live air bubbles into the grain....

I have seen that some rockets used NC as a fuel, but i do not know how

Also NC has a very good isp, about 225 sec...

I was thinking about nitrostarch, it is almost the same as NC, but i do not know their properties... Maybe it will better for rocket propellant than NC

Edited by THEONE

Those Czechs don't have such stupid laws as we have in western Europe. Me likes :)

for now

wait some years and they'll have the same restrictions as all of us

i bet that in the future it will be very difficult to buy any chemical if you don't run a laboratory

Most composite flare motors have a strict shelf life, when they hit that date, they pretty much get thrown away. It looks like that site takes apart flares and sells each piece. The fuel for what ever reason, becomes unstable and the motors with blow up randomly. I know this from personal experience. I wouldn't buy any of those motors....but maybe some 45g Ti salutes with time fuse.

A common used flare composition is NaNO3/Mg, something around 1:1, bound with IIRC polystyrene resin.

Most composite flare motors have a strict shelf life, when they hit that date, they pretty much get thrown away. It looks like that site takes apart flares and sells each piece. The fuel for what ever reason, becomes unstable and the motors with blow up randomly. I know this from personal experience. I wouldn't buy any of those motors....but maybe some 45g Ti salutes with time fuse.

A common used flare composition is NaNO3/Mg, something around 1:1, bound with IIRC polystyrene resin.

What kind of fuel is used?

I have never heard of these flares blowing up, what happened to you? I have several rocket flares that are expired and see them for sale all the time. I have had them fail, presumably from age, but never seen any sign of instability.

The flares are fine, the little motor that flies them into the air is what is the issue. I'm not sure what they are made of. I got a bunch of the flare/motor inserts back in 08, by last year they were nearly all bad, out of 12 motors, only about 2 flew with out issue. The rest blew up either immediately upon lighting, or within the first 40ft of flight. They don't appear any different to the eye.

I was also drooling over some of those components. Pretty wild that you can buy flash bangs. And I'm digging on those friction igniters.

I love mil surplus in general. You get stuff that your government bought for, say, $100, for $2. Or less. In the USA, the era just after Vietnam was a glorious time for all sorts of truly awesome mil surplus items. The good stuff has pretty much ceased to flow in the last decade, but there are still some good deals out there of all kinds.