APC Forum

Hot glue touching whistlemix

dangerousamateur

Hi,

when preparing a few little whistle inserts I got hot hotglue touching whistle mix (with catalyst & vaseline, leftover from rocket production) multiple times. Yes, the gun was unplugged. It gives me an uneasy feeling though.

How dangerous is it actually?

Generally speaking, hot glue guns are not hot enough to ignite pyrotechnic compositions. The hottest i have ever seen the glue get is 380*F, which isnt hot enough to ignite black powder, flash powder, etc. However i would be careful about touching the metal nozzle of the glue gun to any comps, just to be safe.

Good question, I just wipe a layer of wood glue over the exposed whistle after pressing them.

-dag

Good question, I just wipe a layer of wood glue over the exposed whistle after pressing them.

-dag

Out of curiosity, why do you do that? Is it a way to protect the whistle grain? Haven't progressed to the point of playing with whistle yet, but I'm still sponging up whatever information I can get :whistle:

Out of curiosity, why do you do that? Is it a way to protect the whistle grain? Haven't progressed to the point of playing with whistle yet, but I'm still sponging up whatever information I can get :whistle:

Yup, when I press whistle inserts, the end of the grain is really hard and a simple layer of wood glue keeps the fire from lighting the wrong end of the whistle. Now, a lot of people use a small report at the end of the whistle and then a paper disk and hot glue are used to seal it up.

-dag

Just out of curiosity, where does hot glue come into play when making whistle inserts?

Plugging the rear.

A similar situation happens when I fix the fuse to my small whistle rocket engines.

The hotglue is a low temp type.

Edited by dangerousamateur