APC Forum

oxidizers

THEONE

Ok i was looking for other oxidizer to do an improved propellant as long as kno3 has a low Isp.

I have found threw Guipep that a 65/35 ration of oxidizer/fuel of some propellants are interesting...

For example (fuel is always sucrose)

65/35 ratio of lithium nitrate / sugar has an Isp of --> 178 Sec

calcium nitrate --> 183 Sec

strontium nitrate --> 206 Sec

magnesium nitrate --> 203 Sec

The point is if we can obtain any of this oxidizers in good prise like kno3 and how possible is to make a propellant out of those

P.S. If anybody know any other propellant (except the common propellants like as AN,AP, Sodium Nitrate e.t.c.)

Edited by THEONE

Another thing you have to consider is if the oxidizer may be hygroscopic... which is a huge problem with loose powder/rammed composition. The solution would be to work in a dry environment and seal them with composite resins. For example calcium nitrate is even more hygroscopic than sodium nitrate...

Strontium nitrate may be interesting as you can get a red flame, its not too expensive (at least compared to AP) and while slightly hygroscopic its not too bad...

I think AN have higher ISP than all of the above though because having all reaction products to be gases is beneficial in rockets.

I have made some bottle rockets using strontium nitrate, and the results were a little underwhelming. I did get a very nice red flame, but the lift wasn't that great. The comp I tried needs an increment or two of something more powerful to get it going.

I have made some bottle rockets using strontium nitrate, and the results were a little underwhelming. I did get a very nice red flame, but the lift wasn't that great. The comp I tried needs an increment or two of something more powerful to get it going.

I guess you had a long burn but with low thrust, this can be fixed...

I guess you had a long burn but with low thrust, this can be fixed...

No, it was fast burning in a core-burner. In fact, in larger rockets it burns too fast and caused a CATO. These issues with colored rocket fuel comps are well documented by others. Gas production from the fuel is important to flight and lifting capability as well.

Edited by nater

Mine work well if top lit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4ZuSnhW-uw&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXGrpxZhz40&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1&safe=active

-dag

Mine work well if top lit.

-dag

I have had CATOs with colored fuel on 1/2" motors. 1/4" motors fly with it, but won't lift anything without a booster. I don't have fuse thin enough to fit all the way to the top of 1/4" cores, so I can only light them about 1/3 the way up from the bottom.

They work with a little whistle to get them going and that is good enough for me at the moment. Red rockets are pretty low on my priority list, but I have some experiments with other colored tails in mind for the future. I don't want to loose the nice woosh of a BP rocket, so the experiments will around BP and Hybrid cores with different colored delay and tail combinations.

My point with my post, is that there is more to getting rocket fuel to fly than using different oxidizer. THEONE seems to prefer HPR over pyro, so will have different goals than most of us. For me, power isn't everything. If I wanted to lift shells in the most efficient manor possible, I would use a mortar.

I have had CATOs with colored fuel on 1/2" motors. 1/4" motors fly with it, but won't lift anything without a booster. I don't have fuse thin enough to fit all the way to the top of 1/4" cores, so I can only light them about 1/3 the way up from the bottom.

They work with a little whistle to get them going and that is good enough for me at the moment. Red rockets are pretty low on my priority list, but I have some experiments with other colored tails in mind for the future. I don't want to loose the nice woosh of a BP rocket, so the experiments will around BP and Hybrid cores with different colored delay and tail combinations.

My point with my post, is that there is more to getting rocket fuel to fly than using different oxidizer. THEONE seems to prefer HPR over pyro, so will have different goals than most of us. For me, power isn't everything. If I wanted to lift shells in the most efficient manor possible, I would use a mortar.

I was pretty much rambling but do really like the idea of a whistle booster. I will try that on the next rockets. I have some ideas for the mass launch... whistle.gif

-dag