APC Forum

Moving Up to 3 lb Rockets

nater

My project for PGI this year is a flight of BP rockets with firefly headings. I want to fly a dozen 1 lb rockets with 3 or 4 3 pound rockets. I recently received a 3lb H/U tooling set, but have not made any rockets on it yet.

Part One.

I need to order tubes quickly to make sure they arrive before August. Since I don't have a table saw I am comfortable making small cuts with, I have been buying my sticks from Hobby Horse whenever I buy tubes. Has anyone used the 48" long 5/16" square sticks with 3lb rockets? the 36" long ones work just fine with a one pound motors.

Part Two.

How much BP fuel do you plan on for each 3 pound motor? I asked the same question on another site and got good answers, but I am curious what you have to say over here too.

Part Three.

Headers. For the 1lb rockets, I still plan on making the cone shaped headers that I have brought up in another thread. They are 2.5" in diameter at the widest point. The one pound motors fly them to a great height, but I still need to dial in the burn time on my stars. For the 3 pound motors, I was just thinking about using ball shells with a poka style break to compliment the traditional cones. What size of hemi would be a good starting point? I will probably be using 1/2" stars in everything, but if they burn too long, I will back down to 3/8" in the smaller headers.

As always, thanks in advance.

Edited by nater

My project for PGI this year is a flight of BP rockets with firefly headings. I want to fly a dozen 1 lb rockets with 3 or 4 3 pound rockets. I recently received a 3lb H/U tooling set, but have not made any rockets on it yet.

Part One.

I need to order tubes quickly to make sure they arrive before August. Since I don't have a table saw I am comfortable making small cuts with, I have been buying my sticks from Hobby Horse whenever I buy tubes. Has anyone used the 48" long 5/16" square sticks with 3lb rockets? the 36" long ones work just fine with a one pound motors.

Jims 48" sticks work great on #3 rockets, I use two of the 36" ones on 3# whistles though.

Part Two.

How much BP fuel do you plan on for each 3 pound motor? I asked the same question on another site and got good answers, but I am curious what you have to say over here too.

I'll press one tomorrow and see what the fuel weighs. I think it was 112g if I remember correctly.

Part Three.

Headers. For the 1lb rockets, I still plan on making the cone shaped headers that I have brought up in another thread. They are 2.5" in diameter at the widest point. The one pound motors fly them to a great height, but I still need to dial in the burn time on my stars. For the 3 pound motors, I was just thinking about using ball shells with a poka style break to compliment the traditional cones. What size of hemi would be a good starting point? I will probably be using 1/2" stars in everything, but if they burn too long, I will back down to 3/8" in the smaller headers.

#3 rockets will lift a 6" ball shell or a 4" canister to the proper height. Go for the 1/2" stars since they burn so fast the spread is very poor. I have several cans with 1" FFOC comets for PGI going up on 3# BP rockets. Lets meet at the rocket line and compare. Are you competing with them?

As always, thanks in advance.

Thanks, just the answers I was looking for.

I am not sure if I will compete this year or not. Right now, I am not planning on it, I just want to have some fun on the rocket line. Minds can always be changed though.

First and foremost, I want to have a notable project with everything built on site. With parlon bound stars, color stars work well in a short time. Ned has proven he can make and dry charcoal stars on site at events, so I am taking what he shared to the dark side. It will either work well or be a miserable failure. Either way, I'll own it and be proud of the attempt.

Minds can always be changed though.

After reading through the rule book, I'm tempted to enter a pair in the "Best Small Rocket" category. 3/4" Black Powder Rocket with Firefly Heading to Report. biggrin2.gif

After reading through the rule book, I'm tempted to enter a pair in the "Best Small Rocket" category. 3/4" Black Powder Rocket with Firefly Heading to Report. biggrin2.gif

Sorry, best small rocket is four rockets, two different tails and three different headings. You need another tail and two other headings... whistle.gif

-dag

Dag, you're thinking of rocket level 2. That does indeed require 4 rockets, 2 tail effects, and 3 different header effects. Best small rocket is just an identical pair of 3/4" or smaller rockets, generally with a header effect.

I thought Best Small Rocket was just a pair with identical tails and header as well. I have notes for entries in Rocket 2, but decided to scrap that idea this year so I can bring limited chems. I had 4 different rockets in mind with different headers each complimenting the tails. One of the rockets falls into the "innovative effect" category but needs more testing than I had time to do this summer.

Dag, you're thinking of rocket level 2. That does indeed require 4 rockets, 2 tail effects, and 3 different header effects. Best small rocket is just an identical pair of 3/4" or smaller rockets, generally with a header effect.

Right you are!!! Sorry Nate. blush.gif

-dag

The 3 header design requirement of Rocket 2 is what turned me off to compete this year in the first place. I am trying hard to build everything on site to avoid transporting anything live and due to being so busy with work right now for hobbies. Working on one effect all week and a couple other things I want to try is a much more managable task. Being able to compete with a pair of rockets sounds like good motivation as I work on them.

I might have to use two of the 36" rocket sticks. I just talked to Jim and he is out of the 48" ones and is not sure if he will have some to vend at the convention. He was also talking me into entering a pair of motors in the " best small and medium motor" categories and told me he's going knock me out of the "small rocket" competition. Anyone else going to pile on the trash talking? laugh2.gif

edit: Another change of plans - just saw the competition schedule and I won't have time to get firefly stars dry by Monday for the small rocket competition. Time to think up something else, or try to get stars ready before the convention. I was really hoping to be able to build everything on site, but that may not be possible.

Edited by nater