APC Forum

caked bp

garyrapp55

So I milled some bp today and found that most if not all of it caked and stuck to the walls of my mill. Maybe I have too much media? Will cab-o-sil help, or is the humidity rendering cab-o-sil useless?

So I milled some bp today and found that most if not all of it caked and stuck to the walls of my mill. Maybe I have too much media? Will cab-o-sil help, or is the humidity rendering cab-o-sil useless?

Its heat and moisture content that make it cake, cab-o-sil is a waste of time. Dry the chems and mill when cool and you will have happy BP. I try to mill what I need for the year in the dead of winter when its 15% humidity and -20°.

-dag

Yep, something has moisture. The best way to check is put a little of each chem in a separate plastic bag and put in the sun for a bit. The culprit will for condensation in the bag. I've had people ship me damp charcoal once, that was a little ugly. I also keep my mill jar sealed when not in use because humidity will find that too. If all chems are dry you should be able to produce extremely fine powder without caking and without the need of an anti-cake.

Mark

I was afraid you might say that Dag. I made my best bp last September. It was still warm out here in TX, but I assume it was dryer than now. My only problem with milling in the winter is that's hunting season, and I don't want to scare off my food. I guess I'll have to build a quite box for it. Thanx for the input.