black powder

Zumber

this is the method of making black powder i have learned it from my grandfather

composition by weight

NaNO3(chilean saltpeter)...5 parts

sulfer...1 part

charcoal(any softwood)..1part

dextrin for making BP into grain.

Grind all chemical as fine as possible mix and pass several times through screen.

Now damp it with very very little water. Now take a dry wooden base provision is made in wooden base with chopper(carpenter) to keep composion in base.

Now take heavy duty iron rod(used by ironsmith)

and allow to fall it up and down (ramm it with hand)in wooden base in composition for half or one hour.

Then dry in sun for one day.

I am using this for making quick match(u can cut it with scissor),delay and cross match.

For lifting shell much amount of lift is required(500gm for 5inch).

It has no effect of friction.

this is the method of making black powder i have learned it from my grandfather

composition by weight

NaNO3(chilean saltpeter)...5 parts

sulfer...1 part

charcoal(any softwood)..1part

dextrin for making BP into grain.

Grind all chemical as fine as possible mix and pass several times through screen.

Now damp it with very very little water. Now take a dry wooden base provision is made in wooden base with chopper(carpenter) to keep composion in base.

Now take heavy duty iron rod(used by ironsmith)

and allow to fall it up and down (ramm it with hand)in wooden base in composition for half or one hour.

Then dry in sun for one day.

I am using this for making quick match(u can cut it with scissor),delay and cross match.

For lifting shell much amount of lift is required(500gm for 5inch).

It has no effect of friction.

wooden base and wood comes from tree for charcoal

post-10498-0-29883000-1340037328_thumb.jpg

Interesting way of making black powder. I am wondering why he used NaNO3 instead of KNO3 ? In his time that was the only available oxidizer? Does it give enough power to lift a shell...? As it is commonly known that black powder has to be ground intensively to produce a powder of sufficient quality.

Pure, dry NaNO3 is almost as powerful as the potassium salt. Here they removed potassium nitrate from the spice shelves in the food stores (it is used as a fish preservative) and instead put pure sodium nitrate there. They didn't even know that both salts are good oxidizers. :lol:

Interesting way of making black powder. I am wondering why he used NaNO3 instead of KNO3 ? In his time that was the only available oxidizer? Does it give enough power to lift a shell...? As it is commonly known that black powder has to be ground intensively to produce a powder of sufficient quality.

not in past bt still today we are using sodium nitrate because we dont have ball mill and we dont want any hazard.

Like friction sensitivity.

Using nano3 it will take 2 hours to make 10 kg bp.

For lifting shell much amount of charge 500 gm fop 5 inch shell is required and special type of shell(plastic ball wrapped with sticky mud and godownsack) is needed

lift using flash powder(bano3) is shown here

youtube.com/watch?v=rulOw_LxHuI

youtube.com/watch?v=yJrqlKqez-M

search kavathe ekand.mp4 and kavathe ekand2.mp4 on youtube

uploaded by sopinsutar