APC Forum

Foot powered ball mill

taiwanluthiers

First things first: DO NOT MILL BP COMPS WITH THIS unless you want to lose your leg or worse if the thing were to explode... MILL ONLY FUEL OR OXIDIZER BUT NOT BOTH!!!

I am waiting for the part for my ball mill to arrive, got a 1/4 HP motor, and some 12mm bearings. I still need some pulley and belts...

In the meantime I placed the jar on the floor and rolled it around with my feet. It is good exercise and you really need about 3 hours of milling time with this. For charcoal first reduce the charcoal into small pieces, if it doesn't fit through a screen crush it some more (a coffee grinder would work). Then load your jar and just roll it back and forth with your feet, and watch a movie or something.

It's not the most efficient way to mill materials but it beats mortar and pestle by a wide margin. I wouldn't try this with a large jar but something small would work. I milled some charcoal this way and the bp produced (small mortar and pestle batch) burned a bit faster than just mortar and pestle. Maybe you can ball mill aluminum foil too but I wouldn't recommend it, unless you just want to roll it for 24 hours.

again.. MILL ONLY FUEL OR OXIDIZER COMPONENTS BUT NOT BOTH AT THE SAME TIME!!!

post-13175-0-92144400-1340026114_thumb.jpg

Edited by taiwanluthiers

Hahaha, great work! :P ;)

You know that model of Potassium chlorate (I forgot what its called, electron cloud model?) looks like some guy with 3 "legs" and a creepy looking Jason face mask...

You know that model of Potassium chlorate (I forgot what its called, electron cloud model?) looks like some guy with 3 "legs" and a creepy looking Jason face mask...

B)

I used to have the left one on another board, but here you can only link to avatars, and I can't find it on the net anymore.

And a pic of a Chinese one, just for you. ;)

post-11329-0-06942100-1340047298_thumb.gif

post-11329-0-23348600-1340047331_thumb.jpg

Edited by Potassiumchlorate

:blush:

Well, don't blame me. I don't speak Chinese, and on the page where I found the pic, they say that it's potassium chlorate. :whistle:

i present the hand mill... 3 liter bucket with lid a pound of charcoal 3k lead media "swish" the bucket like how hand rolled stars are made with two bowls, i had airfloat quite fast about 20 odd mins but only resorted to this because the mill is maxed at 100g

dan.