APC Forum

mortar question

ryanlg95

I have a cardboard mortar tube 2" in inner diameter, and is 485mm in length, and a 10mm plug. As it is now, it works perfectly for launching shells. My question is, if I were to cut it in half to make two 242.5mm mortars with 10mm plug, will I notice any difference in launching 2" shells, will I lose any height in my launch? I know the longer mortar will work better, I just want to know will I still be able to efficiently able to launch 2" shells in the shorter mortar.

Your mortars will be a bit shorter than ideal, however I have launched two inch shells from smaller mortars.

I cannot say that they will perform the same because they may not. However if you need to give it more oomph you can get it with confinement (pasting over the lift charge, or wadding so on so forth), or just finer grain to get good height with the same, or not much more lift.

Thanks, I think I will go ahead and cut it :S I'll let you know how I go. I don't really want to have to increase the lift, because I currently use 12g of BP for a 2" shell, which I know is more than most people. But I will put more tape around the lift cup and shell and see how I go.

A good guide for mortar length is 5 x the bore so a 2" mortar wants to be 10" inside length. Less than that and the height achieved is too little, a little more and some extra height is achieved, but not a lot.

Short mortars demand really good lift powder.

Edited by Arthur

I think you'll see more impact if you fire any mines. A longer mortar gives a taller column of stars. A shorter mortar gives a wider spray.

I haven't got a chance do do it yet as I'm busy with schooling, but I will do it soon and let you guys know. I don't shoot mines, just 2" shells and I'll increase my lift a bit, and secure the lift cup on more secure to make a bigger lift. Also an advantage on making shorter mortars will be that I won't have to make as much quickmatch, because I hate having to make quickmatch, so shorter lengths will make it a bit better.