APC Forum

The brightest possible composition

dangerousamateur

Hm, I must test that one. With some parlon as binder it might be cheaper and brighter than Bleser White Mg :)

you can press with your hand with a little ammount mineral oil;) Edited by val77

• 1 month later...

after my searching i have a very cheap formula for white flare

60% of kno3

30% of aluminium powder (300 mesh)

10% of sulfur

safety first ! the chemicals of this formula ar used for make flash powder !

Edited by val77

• 1 month later...

a composition used for luu-2 flare information website

magnesium (61%), sodium nitrate (30.9%), and polymer binder (8.1%)

remplace the polymer binder with phelonic resin ;)

Edited by val77

I mixed some cryolite and 40µm magnesium, 1:1 and lit it. The cryolite seemed to be totally inert, though it was decomposed by the high temperature of the burning Mg. I have never seen such a deep colour from something with 50% magnesium. Too bad yellow isn't my favourite colour.

Magnesium and Magnalium is amazing. Just for kicks I made a small mix of 325 mesh (45um) magnalium and strontium carbonate (not to any particular ratio). Believe it or not this stuff is just as pyrotechnic as magnalium and oxidizers like potassium perchlorate. Ok it doesn't flash or make that self-confined report like flash can, but it goes to show you that even chems that we think of as inert such as carbonates, can with the right fuel, go pyrotechnic as surely as chems like potassium perchlorate. It didn't even take much to ignite it either. The burn wasn't very clean but that's because the ratio wasn't very accurate.

Strontium carbonate actually makes a fairly decent red "flash" when combined with magnalium or magnesium.