APC Forum

Facebook parenting

Potassiumchlorate

Funny, I ran into the same thing when my kids were growing up. I did not shoot their laptops nor did I make a video but I sure do understand the frustration that a parent feels when a child rebels. I am sure that all of you under 18 and still at home are upset with this video and think it's unfair as well but by the time you are about 30 and have gone through the terrible twos with a couple kids yourself, you will feel the frustrations that we as parents have felt.

The world has focused so much of being "kind" and pampering children, coddling them and making sure that everyone "wins" all games and contests that we now have rebellions like "Occupy Wall Street" and the such where the children think that they DESERVE to be given something for nothing...

I deserve a nice paycheck and good working hours. I do! After working for 30 years in industry, going to school, working 3000 hours a year working two or more jobs at low wages for a decade and climbing the ladder by being a trustworthy and loyal employee, I do deserve to be here.

I say "occupy a job", go to Juarez Mexico for a year and teach English to children that have no parents and live in the garbage dumps. Then come back and tell us how hard your lives are.

-dag

true what you say only that your not allowed to win at school sports here incase its unfair to the kids that either did not try or cant be bothered competitive/one on one sport at school has nearly stopped instead team games are encouraged, i was taught respect along with my two brothers and sister the hard way, no one bought us a computer, flash trainers or a phone [ i wouldnt have been able to lift one anyway] or anything else we "wanted" "needed" is a different story, i wouldn't have dared to cuss out my parents like that, the consequences would be much worse and regardless how i feel i still wont throw them under the bus or let anyone else do so, there were no rewards or pocket money for good behaviour/mucking in/chores that is evryday life that if you dont learn you dont live, we were happy with what we had, could and all would cook, wash, sew, clean, defend ourselves and anything else required in evryday life before ten years old, times were hard, hunting/poaching was meat, ferrets, dogs and smoothbore's were essential to survive quite literally at points, dont even start me on fussy eaters, be grateful you were fed at all.

some from a broken home [including me] would be gratefull to have the privilige to help out around a functional family home where you have more than you realise and im not talking material posessions, i hear the moans of kids that are much better off than we were [and cant even feed themselves let alone put their back into it nor summon elbow grease if need be] about petty things and it sickens me to contemplate my kids growing into a society where this behaviour is the norm and is almost reinforced by law, the next generation need some pointers.

and exhale.. rant over

KC: here you would most certainly lose your FAC for using one in such a way

dan.

Seen this already. I would just love to send this guy a care package consisting of more ammo and a belt or a piece of hose. Oh yea and a Thank You card with best wishes.

Seen this already. I would just love to send this guy a care package consisting of more ammo and a belt or a piece of hose. Oh yea and a Thank You card with best wishes.

Me too, we can go in together...

-dag

Made me lol. My parents just turned the other cheek when I acted up, and left me to sort out my problems--they wouldn't interfere. I had to learn to get along with others, and appreciate what I have have. They raised me to be respectful, self-sufficient, and un-entitled. Kids that think they are the center of the universe make me sick.

Made me think of this: http://stupidevilbastard.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/greedy_people.jpg

If this is the way to handle your children... be prepared for the worst.

He symbolically shoots his daughter... How do you think this lands in the girls mind?

What he does is hundred thousand times worse than the girl did, and he's the adult, he should be the 'thinking' one.

I found this video amusing, though I'm not sure I agree with him shooting the laptop.

If he bought it, even for his daughter, it seems a bit irrational to destroy his own property.

Personally, I would have sold it on ebay ;)

So he wants to teach his daughter how to be childish and vindictive, eye-for-an-eye tactics, teaching her that violence and disregard for property are ways to get respect? I feel sorry for anyone who thinks this is good parenting.

So he wants to teach his daughter how to be childish and vindictive, eye-for-an-eye tactics, teaching her that violence and disregard for property are ways to get respect? I feel sorry for anyone who thinks this is good parenting.

I don't go for shooting the lappy or posting the video publicly but I am all for discipline and not coddling.

-dag

Myself I'm certainly not for beating kids up or anything, but that ungrateful little bitch defamates her own parents for the entire planet on Facebook, even though she has a far better life than most people. She considers it "oppression" to have to make her bed and empty the dishwasher. <_< Edited by Potassiumchlorate

There are too many people, young and old that don't know how to act on facebook. I can only begin to think that facebook is a place where people believe they are safe from other people and that they can write whatever the hell they want and nothing will become of it. The symbolism of the 45 is a good way to bring back reality, although I would have used the dramatic essence of a 12 gauge. Maybe he was smart and didn't want to pick up all the pieces. I also think it is good symbolism that she may want to find another place to live soon. She may not catch on however because it wasn't posted on facebook.

Mark

I also think it is good symbolism that she may want to find another place to live soon.

If thats what you want...