APC Forum

Potassium Nitrate anticake

dangerousamateur

Well, some got anticake and some don't...

How do you feel about anticake, what's your opinion?

The thing is, i mostly dry and grind some KNO3 down, to put it in some sealed glas for storage.

When I want to do some experiment I'd like to have a stock free flowing dusty KNO3 powder ready.

Therefore I find anticake very convenient.

Otherwise, of course I want to make fast BP. I wonder if the anticake has any influence on performance....?

Well, some got anticake and some don't...

How do you feel about anticake, what's your opinion?

The thing is, i mostly dry and grind some KNO3 down, to put it in some sealed glas for storage.

When I want to do some experiment I'd like to have a stock free flowing dusty KNO3 powder ready.

Therefore I find anticake very convenient.

Otherwise, of course I want to make fast BP. I wonder if the anticake has any influence on performance....?

It is a nice thing to have if burn speed is not a factor. I prefer to mill and use most all of the airfloat kno3 in comps right away. I store the crystalline material , and in that form it doesnt cake up as much.

Any adulterants will slow down the burn speed , and if your after lightning quick bp, it may not be the best thing to add to your kno3.

Any adulterants will slow down the burn speed

I don't doubt that, but is the difference significant? I don't care about a few percent...

It may make your powder difficult to granulate, or stop it sticking to hulls.

It may make your powder difficult to granulate, or stop it sticking to hulls.

Thank you for your opinion. Did you or somebody else here had that problem and could you track it back to the anticake?

I had that problem with KP burst - the perc had anticake. I could NOT get it to adhere to the hulls. It picked up while wet, but when it dried it fell off as powder and just left a thin coating. It's just my conjecture that it was the anticake, but it seems likely, as I never had that problem with regular perc; also that a thin layer stuck to the hulls ok, but it would not stick to itself to build up a good coating.

I always try to avoid anti-cake material. In my mind it is an oxymoron in terms of use. Some concerns are already mentioned. If I am pumping stars and controlling binder usage I don't want to have to worry about how much of an effect the anti-cake would have (if at all). Part of my everyday game plan is to be consistent and avoiding anti-cake is part of my plan. I always have this unproven thought that anti-cake is trying to undo what I am trying to do. If I am trying to increase burn speed, consolidate comps, or bind material it can't be good to have. I don't feel it is worth the effort for ME to prove or disprove my thoughts and rather concentrate more on avoiding it all together. Kind of a better safe than sorry routine more than anything.

Mark

Just thought I'd chime in here, I now use anti-cake chems exclusively for my KN03 and Perc. There is no difference in performance and I've made KP, 70/30 Perc/Charcoal burst & of course regular BP burst. I have had no problems with it sticking to cotten seeds or hulls....my guess is if someone had issues with this there was another problem or they used a different method.

I've also coated hulls in a cement mixer and just in a 5 gallon bucket, both methods worked fine with anti-cake chems. Just my experience....

When I mill my granular Kno3 I add .3% of cab o sil. I use the KNO3 in everything with no problems whatsoever, even nozzleless Balsa BP rocket motors with NO binder or oil..