APC Forum

Skylighter KNO3 and Strontium Carbonate

dagabu

I was able to secure some samples of Skylighters KNO3 and Strontium Carbonate that Harry has on sale right now and I can say that they are both surplus chems but both of them work as well as the best grades of the same chems do.

The KNO3 is a little dirty looking and my sample has some debris in it but a quick 10 minutes in the ball mill and then a quick screening on a 20 mesh screen brought up the debris to the screen and was easy to discard. The actual KNO3 is a little brown looking but the BP that was made with it (three tests were performed from three different bags) was very hot and there was no sign of water infiltration, contamination or anything that would make milling problematic such as steel or metals.

The Strontium Carbonate was a small sample and was all white with no debris in it. It made a nice red but not quite as red as Strontium Nitrate. At the price Harry wants for it, it is a good deal IMHO.

The prices on both seem to be fair and the chems are good to go.

-dag

Good to hear the strontium carbonate is good quality, I ordered 5 pounds along with some Ti. I love red!

• 1 month later...
Hmm I bought the rainbow kit from Harry last year and was very impressed with it. However if I recall correctly they used a chloro rub like chemical as well as magnalium and potassium perchlorate. I believe the combo of the se chlorine donors allowed for a more deeper red and controlled the temp a little better than using the nitrate based oxidizer. Since you cut them using acetone they dried pretty quick. I would recommend priming them with the priming kit as well, otherwise they dont always ignite correctly.

Especially for strontium carbonate you need lots of chlorine. With potassium chlorate or potassium perchlorate it won't be as deep red as with strontium nitrate anyway, but on the plus side it won't attract water.

Actually the kit came with parlon. Hence the reason they are called rubber stars. They are not the deepest colors i have seen, but fout for someone just learning the ropes they work great. My biggest problem is making bp. I have had no luck in making it by hand, so I am going to invest in a ball mill this year and try again.

Actually the kit came with parlon. Hence the reason they are called rubber stars. They are not the deepest colors i have seen, but fout for someone just learning the ropes they work great. My biggest problem is making bp. I have had no luck in making it by hand, so I am going to invest in a ball mill this year and try again.

Like I said, the nitrate is very hygroscopic, although in the US the relative air humidity is pretty low in most places.

A ball mill is very important. I'd actually say it's the most crucial things of all for fireworks. I think a rock tumbler will do very well, if you just need a pound or two a year or so. ;)

Like I said, the nitrate is very hygroscopic, although in the US the relative air humidity is pretty low in most places.

A ball mill is very important. I'd actually say it's the most crucial things of all for fireworks. I think a rock tumbler will do very well, if you just need a pound or two a year or so. ;)

If one wishes to only use small amounts as stated above( of strontium nitrate) , it can be milled down to a very usable particle size with an electric coffee grinder . I agree with Potassiumchlorate, a ball mill is essential to this hobby . dry2.gif