APC Forum

A pyrotechnic symphony of sound

oldguy

The sky is a visual palette.

Most pyrotechnic artists strive to paint a bold picture in the night sky.

Often with the masterful hues of a Da Vinci masterpiece.

Some as bright as lightening.

Others as subdued as the color of gold.

Why is it, other than concussion and loud reports.

No such artist ever strives to make the sound of music in the sky.

Edited by oldguy

It's all salutes, but you may still enjoy this:

You may also want to look into Hammer shells. They are multibreak cylinder shells with numerous small insert shells. They have alternating color and report inserts designed to replicate a blacksmiths hammer. Tap, BAM, Tap, BAM..... They were originally done with bright and dark salutes to simulate a thunder and lightning type of effect. I've always wanted to make a hammer shell with alternating photoflash and dark report inserts. I call it an "echo" hammer.

Shimizu actually gives some notes in his book FAST about choreographing fireworks to music. It is more of a correlation of notes to certain shells or effects, but it is certainly interesting. It'd be worth it to see sometime.

Another one that comes to mind is an article in Pyrotechnica II by Oztap. He discusses modifying whistles to gain different tones. With enough work you could probably make a pyro caliope of sorts.

it is with reports but have you seen the "shave and a haircut" rocket headers, cant remember if it was on nakka or creagan's site [i'll look it up] but it explains the notes and timing

some good pyromusicals feature fireworks to the tune rather than highlighting the chorus and verses randomly, few and far between.

dan.

Shave and a haircut is Danny's thing but was done before and after he did it. It is really a test of the timing of the fuse one uses. If you can pull the timing off, then your fusing scheme works!

BTW- Download and use Audacity to see the timing of the "Shave and a haircut, two bits" song for timing fuses.

-dag

Think if you could play Beethoven's 5th Symphony with fireworks. :wub: Boom-boom-boom-boom! Boom-boom-boom-boom! ;)

Mascleta! popular in Spain and Malta

youtube.com/watch?v=hps1D8eJKag

.youtube.com/watch?v=lGf5ePo0ABQ&feature=related

Rumour has it that one Fallas show used 250Kilos of flash in crackers in about 10 minutes.

youtube.com/watch?v=jF9AMCYCFao&feature=related

Search anything with Malta Beraq

A six inch salami can be three feet long and be almost all flash powder

youtube.com/watch?v=MAXGetlFkio&feature=fvwp&NR=1

You know OG, even sans sound I look at the colors I produce as a visual symphony in the sky. I'm not fond of whistles much at all, a few here and there do make for s little fun but the really screechy ones make me cringe and set my teeth on edge. I also am a little old fashioned when it comes to a fireworks display, I prefer them without music. I think this is because I generally don't care much for the chosen music but that doesn't make my feelings about the subject any different.

I do look at fireworks displays the way Joel Baechle must, as "Pyrocolor Harmony." :)