APC Forum

When mix the dextrin with the BP ?

Pirotecnia

When we want to granulate black powder, whe have to mix the dextrin before or after ball milling the mixture?

Thanks!

When we want to granulate black powder, whe have to mix the dextrin before or after ball milling the mixture?

Thanks!

Hi,

It's best if you put it in before ball milling if your dextrin isn't incredibly fine. If you are happy that it is of equal mesh with your milled BP, screen it in with the milled BP after milling.

Anybody more educated on the subject can negate me, these are just my thoughts!

Thanks, Seb.

Thanks!

Let the mill do the work. If you are adding dextrin, just put it in with your other ingredients.

I've seen some people swear by leaving dextrin out of the milling process. Adding it in at the beginning works fine for me. If you're looking to experiment maybe add it in 15 minutes before the end to mix it into the powder but not be thoroughly crushed.

I have a very large capacity mill & jars.

I ball mill all the dextrin I use alone, in large batches anyway.

Simply to make it finer for any binder purpose.

With BP, either way works fine for me.

Be sure to label your BP batches well.

You would not want to add dextrin twice.:o

The only time I put dextrin in BP is when I'm making it to coat rice hulls, and then I put it in the mill. For normal BP I don't use any binder at all - it doesn't need it. It makes hard granules just from wetting and ricing, and the few percent of dust left over after drying can just be wetted and riced again.

either fifteen minutes before milling is finished or add it to the bag or tub you wet it in and shake him up, i dont like milling the dextrin in.

for bp i only use 2-3% for seeds up to 5% as it falls off easier than bp grains crush.

dan.