APC Forum

1lb BP rocket with 4" cross pattern cylinder header

WonderBoy

Sorry guys, no pre-flight picture on this one.

Unfortunately the shell broke in line with the camera, so the pattern is not clear. But you can definitely make out the "arms", so I imagine it would have looked okay. I was even stationed about 90 degrees from this camera with a second camera in the hopes of one of us getting it head on, but it flew away from both of us before turning, so we both missed it.

http://youtu.be/SbGGx-2QTu4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbGGx-2QTu4&feature=plcp&context=C42cd97cVDvjVQa1PpcFM8s4wzJS5yETfh14YKEm_FZxdAi2x5Rps%3D

WB

Unfortunately the shell broke in line with the camera, so the pattern is not clear. But you can definitely make out the "arms", so I imagine it would have looked okay. I was even stationed about 90 degrees from this camera with a second camera in the hopes of one of us getting it head on, but it flew away from both of us before turning, so we both missed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbGGx-2QTu4&feature=plcp&context=C42cd97cVDvjVQa1PpcFM8s4wzJS5yETfh14YKEm_FZxdAi2x5Rps%3D

WB

Wow! That golden streamer was beautiful! Would you mind sharing the composition please?

Cheers, Seb.

well done mate nice rocket shame on the angle but i could tell it was a big break Edited by allrocketspsl

ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbGGx-2QTu4&feature=plcp&context=C42cd97cVDvjVQa1PpcFM8s4wzJS5yETfh14YKEm_FZxdAi2x5Rps%3D

WB

Nice looking stuff! I guess rockets aren't the magic bullet folks say they are for pattern shells after all. whistle.gif

I too would like to know what comp you used.

Edited by warthog

Nice looking stuff! I guess rockets aren't the magic bullet folks say they are for pattern shells after all. whistle.gif

I too would like to know what comp you used.

I think that wonderboy will agree that TR gets his to break at the same place, same alignment every time and are certainly his magic bullet. When I grow up, I want to have rockets like his, hell, I will take rockets like wonderboys any day! Nice job WB, cant wait to see what you have in store for us later this summer.

-dag

Edited by dagabu

Thank you for the nice comments guys.

I do agree. Orientation is everything when it comes to many effects, especially ones like this. It is tough to get the orientation right when you only shoot one rocket; it is very helpful to send up a few "tracers", or watch other peoples rockets first so that you can gauge about where the winds are blowing.

The composition was Tiger Tail plus 15% +20-30 mesh sponge Ti. I was hoping for the long hanging Ti sparks to help hold the shape as it drifted away, like some palm tree shells. These burned a bit longer than I would have liked for this particular shell, so I will have to tweak that before the next one.

I have many plans for this summer, but limited build time, so we'll see how much I can actually get done. Do you plan to be competing in anything this year Dag?

WB

Thank you for the nice comments guys.

I do agree. Orientation is everything when it comes to many effects, especially ones like this. It is tough to get the orientation right when you only shoot one rocket; it is very helpful to send up a few "tracers", or watch other peoples rockets first so that you can gauge about where the winds are blowing.

The composition was Tiger Tail plus 15% +20-30 mesh sponge Ti. I was hoping for the long hanging Ti sparks to help hold the shape as it drifted away, like some palm tree shells. These burned a bit longer than I would have liked for this particular shell, so I will have to tweak that before the next one.

I have many plans for this summer, but limited build time, so we'll see how much I can actually get done. Do you plan to be competing in anything this year Dag?

WB

Nope, my heart belongs to teaching I am afraid so if I can pull it off, I will teach a week long class about basic shell building, both cylinders (Fulcanelli type) and balls shells from the ground up. The stars will be willow and all components including lift and break will be made by the class. I also have responsibilities this year that will take up Thursday and Friday nights.

Come get me when you launch this year, I would like my son and I to get video of your rockets 45° apart. Sadly, no rockets at PGI this or next year.

-dag