APC Forum

Underwater flare question

oldguy

I expect it would work very well, particularly with a fine grade of Aluminium. Both Barium nitrate and Barium sulfate are vigorous oxidisers at high temperatures and produce a luminous white spectrum.

Additionally, there's nothing like 28% reactive metals, with over half being Mg to get a fierce combustion going.

Just have to get it lit before hitting the water and I'm sure it would do fine. With both the sulfate and nitrate in there in such a high percentage it might even be a little too energetic. Really all you need for a comp that will burn under water is for it to have a steady burn that is fast enough that the gas produced keeps the water held back.

@Old guy ...

Are you planning on doing some night fishing with these? whistle.gif2ninja.gif

That's from Herbert Ellern. I actually have barium sulfate. Just haven't gotten the thumb out of my arse to test the composition.

@Old guy ...

Are you planning on doing some night fishing with these? whistle.gif2ninja.gif

LOL…..

No. but flares that burn brightly underwater or in very adverse weather hurricane or blizzard type conditions are interesting to me.

Your comment reminds me of way back when at a place called horseshoe bend on the Snake river in Idaho.

We would use a couple coleman lanterns for light & catch big fat catfish late into the night.

Next day we would have a big fish fry.

Have not tasted a catfish fritter cooked in a big deep cast iron skillet in years.

LOL…..

No. but flares that burn brightly underwater or in very adverse weather hurricane or blizzard type conditions are interesting to me.

I cheat and pick up expired hand held flares from a friend for pocket change. They are the mandated Coast Guard flares on ships and are normally just disposed of and not used.

-dag

I cheat and pick up expired hand held flares from a friend for pocket change. They are the mandated Coast Guard flares on ships and are normally just disposed of and not used.

-dag

I hear you about picking them up for "pocket change" sometimes.

If you are in the right place @ the right time.

I got a case of then, brand new never out of the unopened (expired date) case for 0.20 cents each not long ago.

Almost made me feel like a theif, they were so cheap.

Any idea how these are processed?

Is the linseed oil used to cover the Mg or just added to the mixture?

Since there is no binder mentioned it seems like it's just beeing pressed and the oil acts as "glue", like in whistle fuel?

I "assume" the Mg is added to the linseed oil, then they are both added to the rest of the comp, mixed in & pressed.

But, that is only my assumption.

Could one sub in hot 50/50 Mg/Al in place of Al & Mg seperate?

I expect it will work fine, though it won't be the same...

I expect it will work fine, though it won't be the same...

I only ask because I have a LOT of home made water quenched mg/al.

But, very little powedered AL, except some bright flake I bought.

But, have a LOT of MG & Al scrap metal.

I suppose I could melt & water quench some Al, then grind and/or mill it down.

Since water quenching makes it so brittle, easy to grind & mill down.

gallery_10713_78_60859.jpg

gallery_10713_78_411131.jpg

gallery_10713_78_82392.jpg

Edited by oldguy